U S Reel Supercaster

Mike G

Supercaster

A few years ago, Ray Scott made a big push for light spinning gear in for bass in BASS. Since it was reinventing the wheel, I do not think it lasted very long. The centerpiece reel for such fishing was the US Reel Supercaster. I always liked the concept because the large diameter spool reminded me of the reels we had before the so called "long cast" skinny spools became the fad.

Though Ray's revival is in the past, the reel is still out there. Cabela's has some great deals $60-70 off- that is a $109.99 reel for $39.99. If you ever thought of trying this retro approach, check the Bargain Cave.

Got one in March. I like it, so far. Can't argue that the bigger spool helps line avoid getting those annoying tight loops. Of course, it doesn't completely eliminate memory problems, it just keeps the curls softer. Line falls off easier, and casts go a bit smoother. It's spooled with 6 pound Vanish. I'll update later, especially if the thing fails.

• 1 month later...

Got one in March. I like it, so far. Can't argue that the bigger spool helps line avoid getting those annoying tight loops. Of course, it doesn't completely eliminate memory problems, it just keeps the curls softer. Line falls off easier, and casts go a bit smoother. It's spooled with 6 pound Vanish. I'll update later, especially if the thing fails.

How is it working so far? I went ahead and got the 180XL both for price and to see what the composite material was like. Right out of the box, I noticed two sensible things. The large diameter spool always made sense to me. On that spool was the sensible arbor. With that in place I can still put about 50-60 yds of 8# on the spool. It will hold much more without the arbor, but I have been using a combination of 50 yds of good line backed with brand x line to fill the spool for 40-50 years now without mishap and without ever getting close to the backing. I did not realize how much space on the spool was just filler.

The mechanism seems mechanically sound, made in China. I have not been able to use it on the water and put a load on it; so I cannot say anything final. As the season progresses I may retire a small Daiwa and give this one a workout.

I'm a friend of Fred K...the guy who owns U.S. Reel here in St. Louis....the main flaw is that the drag nob on the front will cause it to foul on the bail occassionally...a quarter turn on the drag knob will fix that...dont get it wet in sub zero weather as well..Better than the junk Shimano trots out, but not perfect...Fishing some Abu Sorons these days...no complaints so far...but its only been a year..Cheers.

• 2 months later...

Update.

The 180XL has been my main reel for light spinning this year. I have not encountered the drag knob problem, nor have I had any other mechanical problems. I put on the red arbor and loaded up with 6# Fireline. I really like the oversize spool for the way it handles line. It only looks oversized when compared to a similar sized "long cast" spool.

The 180s XL and SL are still in the Bargain Cave for $40-$50 ($70-110 off depending on the model).