Lure Parts

Mike Clifford

I always seem to be in need of various lure parts, but never really went looking for the best suppliers.

Of course, everybody knows Janns Netcraft- but sometimes I'm wondering where to get unusual stuff.

Specifically, I need some strips of leather that mimic a rat's tail.

:lol:

Any suppliers worth noting?

Mike,

I've used Fisherman's Shack (www.fishermanshack.net) in the past when building salmon and steelhead spinners, and have been very happy. That's their specialty, but have made some spinners I felt would work well for smallies also with their components.

Are you looking more for hook hangers and lips for hard body baits? I'm not much help there.

For the strips of leather, is there anything that may be at Hobby Lobby or Michaels that would be of use?

I've had all my lure/fly making stuff in storage for a couple years now, so I've lost touch of that thing.

I would suggest you talk to Joseph at One More Cast fly shop (in Countryside, 708.482.4990). I'd be very surprise if he didn't have something that would work perfect.

Some of the things that fly tyers use for tails on rodents are:

strips of chamois

Ultra Suede

Vernille (this looks neat since it's round)

The infamous Bengal Tiger Mouse fly used a strip of elk hide colored with magic markers.

Specifically, I need some strips of leather that mimic a rat's tail.

:lol:

Any suppliers worth noting?

I've run across several possibilities for what you are looking. If you go to Michael's or JoAnne Fabrics you can find rolls of leather and leather type material. I know that they come in black and brown, but I'm not sure what other colors. They have another alternative I've used. It's sheets of thin suede material that you can cut to whatever size and shape you desire. The sheets are about 4" x 8" and come in a variety of colors.

FWIW