Crease Fly question

Rob G

Hopefully Brian J and others will chime in here but a question on using Crease flies for smallies, do you desire for your fly to lie on its side like a wounded minnow or sit more upright in the water? How do you like to work these flies? Any other tips you would care to pass along? We just received our cut out stamps for the Crease Fly patterns which will be available at our upcoming Popper Mania (Central IL Region fly tyers get together on February 20). As always, thank you for your input.

I've made Crease Flies that do both; lay on their side and float upright. In the interest of full disclosure I must admit that it was by accident rather than design. :lol:

Personally, I prefer them to remain upright, as I think it gives them better action when stripped. Sometimes when I've got one that lays on it's side it will plane across the top of the water rather than jerk, dive, and wiggle. I mix up my retrieve to figure out what the fish want. Sometimes they want a short strip (just a small twitch) followed by a lengthy pause, other times they'll hit after a long strip where the fly wiggles a couple inches under the surface for 2-3 feet then floats to the top.

I think the fly remaining upright has to do with placement of the hook shank in the foam. If just the bottom-front edge of the foam is glued to the hook shank, the hook bend hangs lower in the water acting as a "keel," keeping the fly upright. If the foam encases the entire hook shank, the hook bend and point set higher, closer to the body and provide less weight and keel effect allowing the fly to lay on it's side. I haven't actually tested this theory but it seems to make sense. If anyone has done some in-depth analysis of this I'm all ears!

Brian

Guest rich mc

for a step by step on a crease fly go to the hot fly forum on danblanton.com i have never nade one yet or evenfished one. they should work at shabbona with the high shad population rich

Well, I tied up a couple out of different foam. Both on a size 4 Mustad 33903 hook. One sits more erect in the test tub than the other but not sure why. Look decent but I think I can make some modifications to improve their actions.

BrianJ, do you use that Goo to completely cover them, I only had some Hard as Nails to use.

As Brian J. noted hook placement is important as is type of hook. I use the mustad 90721NPBR hooks and they work as will any bass hook. Just keep the hook near the bottom so that it acts as keel and keeps the fly sitting upright. You can add a rattle to the hook if you want extra noise. I don't tie a lot of them but one summer did about five dozen for myself and friends as I'd just gotten the cutter set and was busy whacking out bodies. I also use polycrlic to cover the bodies instead of epoxy, goop or hard as nails. It's an acrylic polyurethane and you just dip it in the can and let it dry. Add eyes, dip and if you like add glitter. Dry and call it a day. You can decorate as you want. All black ones look nice. And tails can be as diverse as bucktail, synthetics, or wherever your imagination leads you..just keep it sparse.

I can't say that I've caught a lot of fish with this fly. A few. When going to a topwater I tend to tie on a gurgler, foam cicada or a ratty popper first. Call it habit. Then I look in the box and think, "Well, I should try this."

They do give a slim profile and a different sound when popped. But they're a decent fly, more assembly than tying but if you use the thick cya and a kicker...you can tie a bunch in a hurry.

Thanks for all the information. It's been immensely helpful. These are a few I just "tied" up. I used some Gamakatsu #1 straight shank worm hooks that I had around. Size #1 hook for the size #2 Crease Fly pattern and they seem to fit fairly well. I tried using a Sharpie red pen for gills but the Sally Hansens, made the red ink run. If you have any suggestions or other ideas, please keep them coming.

009-1.jpg?t=1296678834