tying tip

Guest rich mc

Guest rich mc

so glad i learned this at the central tying session last weekend . locktite makes a super glue gel that is in an easy to use dispenser. it works great and makes glueing so easy.the bottle had two gray sided finger grips that are easy to hold. found at most hardware, walmart and craft stores and only $3-4 . thanks jim z for showing me rich

Good tip, Rich!

There are lots of items out there in hardware stores, marts, and hobby stores that work great. Who does not use "Hard as Nails" for head cement, craft fur for tails and wings, eva craft foam for heads and bodies, Bohemian Chenille, etc.? It is not your father's fly tying anymore.

Here's my tip. With Easter coming up it is a good time to check the craft sections at Walmart and the Hobby Stores for pastel foam sheets. Back some time I found a nice chartreuse colored sheets that were only on the shelf in spring. Light yellow, lavender, and pink might also be out there. We call pink "bubblegum" so as not to raise eyebrows. On average with foam sheets, you get twice the amount of material for half of the price you would pay at a fly shop.

Rich:

Been using the glue that you mentioned for a couple of months now..........definitely good stuff. Be prepared that Wal Mart may quit carrying it. Every time I have found an adhesive that I like at Wal Mart, they quit carrying it. Talked with managers and they said it is common for the company to switch adhesive companies. Today Loc-Tite, tomorrow Super Glue.

Guest airbornemike

I just recieved an order of this stuff http://clearcuregoo.com/buynow/buynow.html man this stuff beats the hell out of epoxy zap-a-gap.....irs pricey but I love it. Caught this little review on my other favorite forum http://www.drakemag.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13336&hilit=tuffleye

Bass sized hangtimes with CCG heads 2/0 hook.

I just recieved an order of this stuff http://clearcuregoo.com/buynow/buynow.html man this stuff beats the hell out of epoxy zap-a-gap.....irs pricey but I love it. Caught this little review on my other favorite forum http://www.drakemag.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13336&hilit=tuffleye

Obviously high tech. Is the hardened material bouyant, neutral or sinking?

It reminds me of another OTC product that finds its way into my flies--a $4-5 tube of low tech clear RTV. Cured RTV is bouyant, however. I have used RTV on chenille to create craw claws that have a realistic lift to them when the body of the fly is weighted.

Guest airbornemike

Obviously high tech. Is the hardened material bouyant, neutral or sinking?

It reminds me of another OTC product that finds its way into my flies--a $4-5 tube of low tech clear RTV. Cured RTV is bouyant, however. I have used RTV on chenille to create craw claws that have a realistic lift to them when the body of the fly is weighted.

I think neutral or sinking mike, stuff drys in 6 seconds :)

Rich:

Been using the glue that you mentioned for a couple of months now..........definitely good stuff. Be prepared that Wal Mart may quit carrying it. Every time I have found an adhesive that I like at Wal Mart, they quit carrying it. Talked with managers and they said it is common for the company to switch adhesive companies. Today Loc-Tite, tomorrow Super Glue.

Jonn- If Walmart quits carrying it, remember to try Hobby Lobby. Don't know if they have the same habit of switching, but that's where I've found it.

I also sprung for the "Clear Cure Goo" a couple months ago and will never use epoxy again! I included a bottle of the "brushable" stuff in my order and it works great for coating Crease Flies. I plan on bringing it to the February Central Ill. Tying meeting for a demo.

I tie a ton of trout flies; mostly flashback pheasant tails and use the stuff on the top of the thorax for a "poxy-back" fly. None of that hurry-up crap like epoxy. It won't harden until you hit it with the UV lamp so you can spread it around, thin it out, bulk it up, or whatever until you get it just the way you want it. Then ZAP! with the lamp. I cover the heads (including the eyes) of all my Clousers with the stuff and it really helps with durability.

It has the same bouyancy characteristics as epoxy.

This stuff was invented for the dental industry and some wonderful flyfisherman who just happened to be a dentist decided that if they left out the coloring agents used to match tooth enamel it would yield a great fly tying material. Aren't dentists great?! :D

Brian