Benefits of being new to the river.

JimR

I'm new to fishing shallow rivers for smallmouth, and it's great. Besides the exciting fishing and beauty of nature, every outing is a new adventure. Essentially all of my local smallie river (the Kishwaukee) is new to me, so every trip out is an adventure. I wade, as my boat runs too deep for the river, and often venture far off from where I start. I feel like I'm fishing these spots for the first time ever, as if no man or women has ever set foot in that water before. I almost never see anyone else around. I rue the day I run out of untouched (by me) Kishwaukee river water. I guess I'll have to move.

You should become a member of the Illinois Smallmouth Alliance so that you can enjoy the Bronzeback Bulletin and meet some of the fine persons that call the Kishwaukee River home. It will be the best money you have ever spent.

Thanks, I'm planning on it. Waiting for my next check. It's funny, I found a bulletin from 4 years ago under my bed that I picked up at a fishing and Camping expo. Inside the cover it named some of the chairman and members involved in the differant districts. The guy in my district was Jude Torre who just so happens to be my dad's boss. How funny, so I decided to check out the website, and here I am. Thanks Jude by the way, you must have been at the expo, the bulletin was yours and you had written a big article in it that caught my eye.

Hey Jim! Sounds like you've got the bug BAD! I took your dad on a yak trip a few years ago, and he had fun, but I got the feeling he still preferred lake fishing. I just can't understand that. I was just like you when I discovered the Kish. Even after you've fished all of it, you'll love it more. You'll remember specific spots and specific fish, and relive them as you wade up to them. I remember the spot I caught my first smallie, and think about it every time I'm there. I also remember the exact spot of my first decent sized (15") smallie. Rivers just get in your blood.

You won't have to move, either, because every year the river changes a little bit, sometimes a lot. New trees down, courses change, new holes get scoured out. Hereclitus said something like: "You can never step in the same river twice."

I'll have to get you out on a yak soon.

I agree. I would love to get out on a kayak sometime. I promise not to chase any lost lures into a deadfall and almost dround, scaring the %@$# outa my guide (Dad told me the story). I'm actually heading out right now, I'll let you guys know how I do. Tight lines.