Green river Sunday Sep 26

rprice

Dave Jones and I scouted some new waters on the Green today in preparation for the September 26th Outing. We were pleased to find one stretch in particular that offered some more traditional Smallmouth habitat. We launched Dave's canoe at about 7:45 AM and finished at around 2:45PM. Not much action but what we did scare up was very nice sized. We ended up landing 4 ranging in size from about 15" to 18"- all healthy and beautiful!

This was the first of the four.

I need to start getting an idea who plans to join us on the 26th. Depending on the numbers of fisherman and canoes/kayaks we have a few options. There was one stretch of app. 1 mile that could be waded and covered in a couple hours. Please let me know as soon as you are able if you plan to attend and can bring a canoe.

The Green River is a frustrating mystery to most but it does offer some opportunity to land a fish with some size and fight. There's also adequate backcast room for you fly fisherman as long as you're either in the river on foot or canoe. I'll post a meeting time and place later but for now I'm looking for you to let me know if you plan on attending.

Ron Price 309-314-2294

I have been fishing the Green River since a little kid and I am now 22. I have been deeply into smallie fishing for about 4 years now, and about 75% of my smallie fishing is on the green river. A lot of it has been canoeing and some wading. There are many many good spots for smallies on the green. I have caught two 18"ers in the past month. I had a couple possible 20-21"ers on yesterday that got off. I mostly fish in Henry county. I would like to become a member of the ISA and go fishing on the trip on the 26th! I can give you some good strategies on the green as well as some good spots to fish, just PM me!

I would like to add that I am very impressed with this website and what it has to offer. I have been trying to find a site like this for awhile and I sure hit the jackpot. It is nice to see fellow smallie lovers!

Ron Manthe

Ron,

This is definitely the best place to be. I would certainly encourage you to join but it's not at all necessary in order to tag along on the 26th. The Newsletter alone is worth the nominal annual dues (I don't know how we keep it so low to be honest with you). i sent you a PM with more details. Hope to see you there and more of you from here on out! Note that Dave Jones (above) is from Muscatine and I know he;d love to meet you as well.

Ron (SR?)

I think a float is the better option- but I still want those who would rather wade know that it is a possibility. So, let's plan on a float (with optional short wade) trip.

Here's why I say this- I went out 2 days ago to wade between 2 bridges working downstream (Dave, this was the final stretch of our recent float). Being on my own, I had to park at the bottom end and walk through a recently picked corn field about 3/4 mile or a bit more to the upper bridge-- there really is no "path" atop the levy at this point. A team of 2 vehicles could mitigate this. That took about 20 minutes and half my energy. During the wade back I had these experiences (and only scared up one 12" smallie)-

1) Depth would average about thigh deep in the middle but there were sections where I was glad I had chest waders instead of hip AND times when I regretted not wearing my belt as it got above waste deep on my 6 foot frame.

2) Unlike wading a smaller stream (i.e. the Apple) I just couldn't tell if I was positioning myself properly from point to point and ended up just walking down the center pitching both ways.

3) No matter what I did, I was stirring up mud that would tip off my presence to fish I was approaching. I could move at the pace of the current but then I wasn't really focusing properly.

4) The very final 50 yards, I felt like I hit quick sand and each step had me concerned the next would be my last. It was this way shore to shore so I just scrambled up the bank and walked the uncut woods out (very difficult this time of year).

I don't think I'll do that again- certainly not that stretch- but it's the only stretch I know of that is short enough between bridges for me.

Hopefully everyone sees this. We have 7 committed at this point. Myself, Dave Jones from Muscatine, John Graham from Minonk, John's dad Jon Sr from Erie, my son-in-law Alberto from Moline, Don Z from the Chicago area, and Ron Manthe from Eldridge. The 2 John's will be together, i'd like to put Alberto with Dave if Dave's OK with that. Don Z has a single Kayak. Ron Manthe is still working on getting a canoe but if that fails, he and I will go to a few walk-in spots while the rest of you float. At least 4 of us have pretty good knowledge of this river.

We'll meet at a restaurant called Lisa's Place which is just east of Atkinson on Rt 6 (22385 US Highway 6) at 7:30AM. Also- if you're interested in breakfast, show up at 7 and join Berto and I. We'll develop a final plan at that time.

My number is 309-314-2294. Could each of you text me your number so that I have it? Also, please confirm here with a reply if you've seen this and/or have questions.

Still room for stragglers- especially if you have a canoe with space. Weather looks good so far and maybe the river will have cleared from this rain by then.

Ron

Update-- same 7 guys but, due to a few peoples choice, we'll have less floats than I first expected. The 2 John's will be wading and it seems more likely that Ron M and i will also be on foot. I share this with all as an FYI. It also sounds like there may be some wading done down near Colona- a stretch I've never fished before. If anyone has any concerns about this, please call me at 309-314-2294. Dave, I'll need to be sure that Don Z stays with you as he is not familiar with this water at all.

All seven attended and met for a quick breakfast before splitting into smaller groups of 2-3. One group headed downstream to some muddier but more natural waters to wade and I don't yet know how they fared. My group of 3 went for about a 5 mile float that offered around 4 places to stop and concentrate. We managed just 4 smallies for day, 1 dink and 3 ranging from 10-12". We caught them with a slider/Kut-tail fished on the bottoms near structure and also near some fresh incoming farm-ditch run-off- usually right in the spill turbulence. a number of other tactics were tried throughout the day with no success.

I understand that Dave J and Ron M headed upstream to a couple hike in locations and I think Ron managed a catfish at the first site but they both hit the mother load at site number 2 catching around half a dozen each in the 12-18" range. Glad they could finish on a great note.

Dave and I have decided that next years outing will be a wade trip and closer to Labor day (earlier in Sep). If we keep the number to 7 or 8 there enough good spots to walk in. It should also shorten the day substantially.

Thanks to all the gentlemen for their willingness to work with me as this outing developed and especially to Dave for lending me the use of his canoe and SUV for the day. Great also to spend quality time with Don Z. I hope we can find a chance to get together again.

Ron

My dad and I struggled. I fished exclusively with the long rod and blanked. Dad landed this beauty:

2cdzjba.jpg. Dad had two more smallies hooked but did not land them.

18 inches caught on a chompers drifting in the current. My take on the day (or an excuse depending on how you look at it) was that the fish were a little sluggish due to the cold temps. In my experiences, the first few cold mornings we get in early fall really zap the fish. A few more cool mornings and the fish seem to get used to it and begin to feed much harder. In addition, the afternoon bite is often better than the morning bite during the fall and winter periods.