Crank it up

Finally got into some decent fish the other day. A friend and I used several different baits. The biggest fish and the most fish came on faster moving lure, spinners and crankbaits especially crankbaits bouncing off the bottom. It was interesting to fish small pools with a slow presentation and then cover the same water with the faster lures and get more bites and bigger fish.

Though the water is warm it's still fairly the same temperature through out as we've had a lot of rain. Once the levels stabilize the shallow eddies with low flow will feel like bath water. At that point you can fish the main flow and eliminate a lot of water quickly. The non-moving areas will be low on oxygen and not be bringing as much food to fish whose metabolism is the highest of the year, If you're in a good spot or get a decent fish don't move till you've worked the area with a bottom bouncing crankbait or at least a fast moving lure. If you're not sure where to fish work the main flow with fast moving lures.

Lotsa Luck

Phil f

The same goes for plastics.I was working some fish that I could see yesterday and they wouldn't touch a sitting or slow drifting plastic.But I noticed when the jig got stuck and I shook it the smallie would come over and look.Then I jerked it loose and the smallie nailed the bait.It's incredible how fast they can move.When the bait is moving slow in shallow clear water they have plenty of time to look it over.A fast moving bait gets a knee-jerk reaction.Always try both methods and let the fish decide.

I use a snap retrieve with plastics also . At times that's the only thing that'll trigger them. May look like something trying to get away. Sure is fun when you can see the fish and try different things. I've been going to a little heavier jig more often just to get the speed up to make the fish hit and also to cast further retrieve quicker and still maintain bottom contact. Being familiar with spots and being able to read the water on new rivers helps in knowing where to try different lures and retrieves. It can be a real time management problem what to try how long to stay with it, but the process is fun. Sounds like you have a couple of good spots to experiment with. I don't have clear water here in central Il. but over in Indiana when it really clears up the only reaction bite I can get at times is on a top water. Again try slow like a fluke or fast baby torpedo or buzzbait.

Keep posting

Phil