Fly Caster Available?

Mike Clifford

Name: Jerry Pagac

Email: jpagac@ccfpd.org

Suject: Question

Iam the Executive Director of the Champaign County Forest PreserveDistrict. We are trying to locate a fly fisherman (or lady) who couldput on a casting demonstration and or fly tying. This would be onSaturday September 26th at a Preserve near Mahomet, IL. If you have amember close by who might want to help, please ask them to contact me.Thanks.

mike, I would be interested in giving a tying demo. I've done it for rich Mc at the shabonna sportsman meeting. I've also given a few demos for cabelas as well. I always enjoy doing it. I dont think I'm qualified to give a casting demo though. I fly fish ALOT, but I dont think I could do much more than a basic "how to" fly cast. I dont know all the fancy casts. if that will help you at all I could do that. I'm much better at tying demos. I've got some great smallie patterns that I could share. where is Mahomet, I've never heard of it?? hope it works out, it would be fun!!

Joe

Steve, Joe - Have either of you gotten any additional information on this event? I don't know what preserve it is at or the start/end times or the expected turnout. We can team teach this .....or if it is an all day event, maybe we could set up shifts.

Steve, Joe - Have either of you gotten any additional information on this event? I don't know what preserve it is at or the start/end times or the expected turnout. We can team teach this .....or if it is an all day event, maybe we could set up shifts.

Starts at 10am...The format seems to be pretty informal. Sounds like we can do whatever we want with it. Might all depend on how many people show up; the forecast looks like rain this weekend. I was going to bring 4 or 5 of my rods in case anyone wants to give casting a try (after I give my "you break it, you buy it" speech, of course). I was going to bring my tying gear as well, but I might just leave it in the truck since you guys seem to have that pretty well covered.

River Bend is a little hard to find if you haven't been there before. Just keep your eyes peeled for the sign as you head down Hwy 47 south of Mahomet. You'll see the gravel dredging operation on the right after you turn onto the gravel road....just keep going straight and then hang a right at the T. Then follow the road all the way around the lake to the boat ramp.

-SB

Steve and I participated in this event with demos: Steve - fly fishing; Jim - fly tying.

Pretty small turnout....but the folks we did talk to were very interested.

Jim...I took that crappie fly you gave me and picked up a dozen small bass afterwards. Then I hooked into a pretty big carp that busted me off. I'll have to tie a bunch more of those. Thanks for showing me your "blink" retrieve.

-SB