What Length for an 8 wt.

Mark K

What is the prefered length for an 8wt, general duty (bass, steelhead, light salt) fly rod? It will be a Loomis GL3, fast action 2 pc. I have no option for brand.

Most of the time it will be used for smallies in the Kank with weighted flies. I intend to fill it with that Clouser line.

Should I go with a 9 footer or longer?

Should I go with a 9 footer or longer?

A nine footer will suit all your needs listed.

The eight weight, while doable, does seem a bit much for smallies. I use a 5 weight, that puts me on the light end, for smallmouths and trout then jump to an eight weight for largemouth and light salt fishing (reds).

The 5 wt does a respectabe job throwing those "chuck and duck" items and can sill handle a size 16 caddis fly when needed.

Personnal preference does count for a lot in choosing your weight of rod.

The Kank is so wide open that a longer rod wouldn't be a problem. But how much weight would be added if you went to a 10' rod? And if that's the case, would you venture to the Spey side of the long rod? Yes, I know you'd have to learn a whole new set of casting techniques. I'm sure you'd be the first on your block with the a spey rod!

Guest One More Cast

An 8 1/2 footer is perfect but a 9 footer is fine. Anything longer is just too much of a chore to cast all day long.

You're getting a fine stick buy a decent line (Clouser) for it otherwise it would be like having Vinyl seats in a Porche.

Joseph

I got the Loomis yesterday. Again, a 9ft 2 PC. Gl3. It’s a mighty stout stick and it will certainly handle any summer smallie in the current.

After my son’s soccer practice I took out and tried out in the grass. I have an old SA 78M reel loaded with some WF line.

I was surprised at how easily it casts. Though I will have to refine my technique so it does not become fatiguing. I’m finding that fly-casting is all about technique and that the better ones technique is, the easier and less fatiguing casting becomes. Not that I’ve achieved that Zen like state yet. The casting clinic held by Joseph at OMC helped immensely, but I still have to donate more time to practice.

Actually the rod is pretty light for having so much beef behind it. They say a fast action rod is not ideal for a less experienced caster, but I think that might be a myth. I cast better with a fast action rod. It probably has more to do with individual casting style and problems rather than experience level.

Anyway, I’m very pleased with the service I got from Loomis and the quality of the rod they sent me. Thanks all for the input.

Guest One More Cast
I'd be very interested to know how you like the Clouser line when you get that, and how it works versus a standard WF or Bass taper line for weighted flies.

Al,

Come to the Cast and Compare event on October 14th. This event is designed to do just that: compare different lines on your rod. There will be rods and lines (including Clouser tapers and Rio Outbound) for you to cast. We meet here at the shop and then head over to the ponds behind Boback's.

No need to sign up and it's free!

Joseph

I have the Clouser Big Nasty line on my 6 wt that previously had #7 WF line. By comparison, it seems to load the rod as easily yet it doesn't "thunk". Casting seems smoother.

Like Joseph said the best way to check it out is to try it.

Does that Bobak's have a restaruant? Their food is great, fattening...but great. Just thinkin' about afterwards. Carb loading on Pierogies. B)

Guest One More Cast
I have the Clouser Big Nasty line on my 6 wt that previously had #7 WF line. By comparison, it seems to load the rod as easily yet it doesn't "thunk". Casting seems smoother.

Like Joseph said the best way to check it out is to try it.

Does that Bobak's have a restaruant? Their food is great, fattening...but great. Just thinkin' about afterwards. Carb loading on Pierogies. B)

They do, and it's pretty good. The sauerkraut there tends to cut the heaviness of the dumplings (or at least that's what I keep telling myself) so we're headed there after the Cast and Compare.

Joseph