My New Vice…

Mike G

When I announced what I wanted for my birthday, my wife was skeptical. I never was much for gambling; I stopped smoking 25 years ago; I cut back on drinking; the other one is working fine for us. So what was I thinking? If I was thinking about something kinky, she made it clear that I would have to move out. So I ‘splained that I meant a fly tying vise-not another bad habit.

Once we got that straightened out my choice was easy. Ever since I read the review on Fly Fish Ohio, I have been intrigued by the Danvise. It got great marks for an $80 vise since it has many of the features of the Italian Sports Models that cost 2 to 3 times as much. Besides the basic vise I went ahead and got a jaw extender in case I want to do really long winged flies. Here’s the new baby.

IMG_3236.jpg

It handles the biggest hook I have-a 5/0 Gamakatsu Siwash-easily. It also quickly adjusts to hold a #16 hook-one of my smallest. I have not done much tying with it yet since this time of year I prefer to fish when I get the time. So far I really like it.

BTW I thought it would be interesting to do a “family” photo of the vises I have used. From left to right they are:

1. My first one, 1955, Tack-L-Tyers Model F. Tack-L-Tyers was located in Evanston. Writers like Ruben Cross recommended them as a source for equipment.

2. My first upgrade, 1970, Herter’s Model 9. Herter’s is a long story.

3. The new baby, 2009, Danvise, AKA the Vader Vise. “Tie the force, Luke!”

IMG_3233.jpg

If you are interested in seeing more on the Danvise, the webpage below has links to videos on setting up and adjusting the vise. (Right hand column.)

http://www.btsflyfishing.com/