Sheboygan River, Wisconsin

Brandon

I will be attending my regional meeting in Sheboygan, WI next week. I'll be staying at the Blue Harbor Resort on the lake. I am looking to get out on the river at least once.

Does anyone have any information on access points that I can use for wading? Also, does anyone if there are any canoe/boat rentals available on the river. I did a search for a canoe rental place that did shuttles (Thill Marine), but the website isn't active anymore.

Thanks,

Brandon

Running a quick search I found this, the Esslingen Park might be good. I know there's private land in Kohler that's part of the "River Wildlife" club but there maybe access upstream from there. There are supposed to be some nice Pike in there as well as smallies.

clicky

*edit check this out

SHEBOYGAN RIVER

The Sheboygan is another river with seasonal runs of steelhead and salmon that overshadow an excellent year-round smallmouth fishery.

The river begins at the outlet of Sheboygan Marsh in northwestern Sheboygan County. From here it loops north into Manitowoc County, then swings back southward to Sheboygan Falls, where it turns east to flow through Kohler and the city of Sheboygan. All the way, it meanders lazily through farms and woodlands. You can wade some stretches, while others require a boat or canoe.

The upstream passage of migrating steelhead and salmon is halted at the Kohler Dam, located on property owned by the Kohler Company, which includes the famed Black Wolf Run golf course. Upstream from here, the river is entirely smallmouth water. Downstream, smallies share the river with the migrants.

Thill Marine at 823 South Commerce right on the river rents kayaks and canoes. They will even ferry you upstream to Sheboygan Falls, where you can launch and then float and fish back down to their dock. For rental information, call (920) 452-1814 or log on to www.thillmarine.com. Sheboygan's riverfront has a variety of restaurants and other facilities, including the brand-new Blue Harbor Resort & Conference Center (www.blueharborresort.com), which just opened this year. For more information, contact the Sheboygan Convention and Visitors Bureau at 1-800-457-9497, extension 700, or online at www.sheboygan.org.