Fiberglass Repairs

Paul Trybul

I own a fiberglass canoe that is starting to show its age. I've dragged it through one to many riffles and bounced it off of one too many midstream boulders. A few trips to the Wisconsin river this summer advanced the aging process. I went out and purchased some Bondo fiberglass repair material. After reading the directions it looks like applying this stuff is geared more towards a skilled trademan. Kind of like mudding drywall where you have to mix compunds and work fast before it hardens.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with canoe repairs and tips for working with fiberglass repair material.

• 3 weeks later...

Paul,

Repair kits are available at www.oakorchardcanoe.com. They may offer some suggestions. Also post a note on River Smallies. There are a number of old school 'glass' paddlers that will probably offer some suggestions or resources.

I'll look thru my files for notes articles or sites that might be helpful. Its been a decade since I did any 'glass' repair. Search for powerboating boards for similiar material.

Rick