It's official!!!

Jonn Graham

Did not know how many of you have heard about the Illinois High School Association making it official and adding competitive high school fishing as a sanctioned sport. It is scheduled to start in the spring of 2009. Illinois is the first state in the US to do this............kinda exciting.

I wish they would have had fishing when I was in high school! Can you imagine how fun practice would be!? Heck, they would have never gotten me to go home. :lol:

This is absolutely great for those young men and women whose interest is not geared toward the traditional sports. It's also a wonderful way to promote the outdoors, sportsmanship and conservation. My son, who is in sixth grade, wanted to sign up yesterday when he saw the article in the Chicago Sun Times.

In my younger day this would have given a whole new meaning to the term "playing hooky." At the time this would have been a good incentive to "lure" me to school and the the education "bait." (Sorry for thecheap puns)

Anyway, good deal.

Did not know how many of you have heard about the Illinois High School Association making it official and adding competitive high school fishing as a sanctioned sport. It is scheduled to start in the spring of 2009. Illinois is the first state in the US to do this............kinda exciting.

I wish they would have had fishing when I was in high school! Can you imagine how fun practice would be!? Heck, they would have never gotten me to go home. :lol:

Thats cool, not everyone is an athlete or wants to be. I found gym to pretty useless and totally uninspiring.

I first heard about maybe six months ago. I'm that it's finally going to go through. Just think how hard it's going to be to make the college teams now with four years of experience behind the kids. Wouldn't it have been great to get a college scholorship for fishing? B) I might have actually thought about attending...... maybe!

This is a great day for the Art of Fishing, for the State of Illinois, and for every kid who decides that he want to get involved in the outdoors and fishing in particular. I hope this spreads across the country into a national event like some of the other Sports they are now involved in. I am sure that one school down state will have an outstanding instructor if he so chooses to do so. What do you think Jonn are you up to instructing your schools Fishing Team?

Guest rich mc

when i heard of it last fall , it involved boating. i am all for getting more into fishing but have some reservations as why they picked spawning season. when i was in high school [morton west 1975] i majored in fishing, i had mostly fishing facts and infisherman magazines in my locker. rich

• 3 weeks later...
I'm right behind you Jonn. It would be really neat to show the HS's the ropes.

I have been looking into starting a program in my area, a couple things to keep in mind would be that you have to have people help out with boats, travel costs ect. I am actually going to be starting a "feeder" program at the middle school I teach at to gain interest as well as knowledge. I hope it takes off as the outdoors can be a great release for many kids.

Darin