Nothing New Under The Sun

Mike G

When I read about Greek and Roman philosophers who said that there is nothing new under the sun, I tend to wonder how they could think that. But then we live and breath progress even in fishing gear. Since 1950 the standard fly rod has evolved from cane to fiberglass to graphite. leaders have gone from silkworm gut to nylon to flourocarbon. Fishing line has changed similarly.

But now cane rods are staging a comeback, and fly line makers are making "sylk" lines that emulate the old silk. :blink::blink:

Then there is the circle hook which has been the rage for the last 5 or so years with its renowned ability to work its way into the corner the fish's mouth instead of gut hooking the fish. I thought of this hook as the latest greatest.

That is, I did until I saw this photo plate in a fly tying book published in 1950. (That is even before Rich was born. )

18950.jpg

3 and 4 sure look like circle hooks to me. The book is a classic,The Complete Fly Tyer by Reuben Cross. Cross's comment about 3 and 4 is really interesting.

There is nothing new under the sun, I guess.