Illinois rodeos?

Bterrill

Never read any talk of Illinois Rodeos on ISA site. What gives? Do you guys not do an ISA rodeo or 5? I and a few of the brown fish peeps from Indiana would surely come.

For those that don't know the concept- it's basically a 2-5 day Smallie Party at a central campground, where anglers of the Smallie community get together and camp, eat, drink, share war stories, float, wade, jetboat, etc for brown fish.

Went to two last year in Indiana- one near South Bend, the other near Lafayette. Tried 7 streams in 7 days. Michigan and Kentucky also run them.

Oh yeah, there aren't any actual ropes or cow wrestling.

I guess we call them "Outings". We did have one on the Rock River this summer and at some of our outings members stay overnight at campgrounds.

If you watch our calender, members are invited to all outings. Bring a group over you will be welcome.

The Vermillion River Outing at Danville would be a good one and its reasonably close.

I guess we call them "Outings". We did have one on the Rock River this summer and at some of our outings members stay overnight at campgrounds.

If you watch our calender, members are invited to all outings. Bring a group over you will be welcome.

The Vermillion River Outing at Danville would be a good one and its reasonably close.

Well, that is cool. We will sometime. I've seen the calendar. I admire ISA's organization.

A Riversmallies style rodeo is more of a collection of Smallie anglers from all over the country (mostly midwest and east coast). They descend to one campground to share recipes, beer, swap extra lures, float, or wade with someone they wouldn't normally have the chance to on a stream (or Lake) not so close to home. Great place to meet some yahoos and learn a ton about Smallmouth. You can come and go as you please according to your work schedule.

Typically, Rodeos are in places with plenty of access to a wide variety of water- ie small streams, medium rivers, large rivers, lakes and reservoirs. We have guys come from Ohio, Michigan, and Kentucky for ours. Never fished Indiana? Someone will put you on some fish or pass out trying. :) 4 days can be a test of endurance- but oh, so much fun!

I'm just saying maybe you guys should run one. Indiana has one out by Lafayette every July or August. Can be as many as three.

BT

Sounds like a great time. Where in Illinois would it be appropriate to have A LOT of guys fishing smallies out of one location?

I can think of one but don't even want to name it for fear people would object to the idea of over running the resource.

That has to be an issue with these types of events.

Gregg

That's up to the people running it. We pick spots based on 45 minute drive to multiple bits of water. You guys in Illinois know what areas have the most options. Noone says fish here or fish there. It's up to each attendee to sort that out with maps or by PMing those that are local. So there would be no advertising of your best spots. Such things are always spoken with a hushed voice. You don't want everyone fishing a small creek, that's stupid- options, options.

Each rodeo I have been to, always been 5 or 6 wade or float options + a couple rivers for boaters+ plenty of lakes to fish. I try to make it a point to try something new each day. Most of the time, it's too far for more than a couple of return trips a year.

Good food, better company, and sometimes great fishin too!

Sounds like a great time. Where in Illinois would it be appropriate to have A LOT of guys fishing smallies out of one location?

I can think of one but don't even want to name it for fear people would object to the idea of over running the resource.

That has to be an issue with these types of events.

Gregg

Gregg, We found a campground along the confluence of the Wabash and Tippecanoe with easy boat access. Typically, you might have 25-30 guys/gals over 5 days. I wouldn't think of it in terms of everyone fishing the same place at the same time. People really spread out and find places up to an hour in every direction. Even fish for Flats in the Wabash.

Typically, I do a Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I've never seen another angler during a rodeo- unless the larger rivers like St.Joe or Tippecanoe.

WE have had a similiar discussion about a Riversmallies style rodeo at the last TOSA meeting.

The idea is planning, location and who want a school of addicted smallie anglers in their watersheds ALL at one time?

We are looking at offering one in Ohio.

OH! Bterrill!

I live/fish in the in the Buckeye. Cheer for the Wolverines! And happy to see the Illini adjusted the Bucks ego!

Go Blue!

WE have had a similiar discussion about a Riversmallies style rodeo at the last TOSA meeting.

The idea is planning, location and who want a school of addicted smallie anglers in their watersheds ALL at one time?

We are looking at offering one in Ohio.

OH! Bterrill!

I live/fish in the in the Buckeye. Cheer for the Wolverines! And happy to see the Illini adjusted the Bucks ego!

Go Blue!

Grew up in Toledo, so I know that rivalry well, in Ohio, but closer to Ann Arbor! I was a Penn State fan as a kid.

I wouldn't worry about anglers running amok, for these reasons:

Many that will come are old hacks that have more fun eating, drinking, spinning a yarn than fishing...if they make it to catch some baits for flatheads or on the water by 2Pm, it's ok by them. Then you have those who go wed-fri or sat- sun. These 20-40 anglers are so dispersed over hundreds of miles of water and different days that there is no impact.

The fishing may stink.

People travel for these things- how often have I been back to the site of our Indiana rodeos this year?

The peeps that go to a man have all been CR anglers.

Really is more of a social gathering.

Brats, Chilli, vennison, all sorts of campfire food from people that can COOK. No skunky beer...er please.

Just trying to get some conversation going.