Saturday 6/17 Rally to Remove the Yorkville Dam

On Saturday, June 17 at 9:00 am, at the dam.

There will be a rally in support of the removal of the Yorkville Dam.

Shari Walsh, mother of Craig Fliege's daughter Alyssa, is organizing the rally. Representatives of Friends of the Fox River will be in attendance. We encourage everyone who believes that dams represent a threat to the biological health of the river and are an unnecessary hazard to public safety to come and

show their support.

I'm talkin' to you guys that fish the Fox here...

Regrettfully, I can't make this. I'm just swamped with stuff to do at home and the round trip drive drive would eat up most of the morning. This crept up too fast and I was unable to get my act together at home in time.

If you fish the Fox, I implore you to stop out there and show these people your support. Getting rid of the dams would most likely have the biggest postive impact on YOUR river. This is more important than any clean up or planting. If the state wastes our money on this "improvement" , it's here to stay. This very well be our last ditch effort. If you can spare a few minutes PLEASE, GET OUT THERE.

Attended the rally at the Yorkville dam this morning. Turnout looked to be roughly 25 people or so. CBS2, WGN9 and print media reps were present. Shari Walsh made a nice statement asking Gov. Blagojevich to immediately reconsider spending taxpayer money to renovate the dam - a project that will not guarantee there will be no further loss of life there. The IDNR already has put in a gravel "roadway" across the river just a few yards below the dam. Looks like the project is moving quickly.

Craig H.

Mark, thanks for picking this one up. Glad you were able to make it out to the rally, Craig.

Thank you for posting the information about the rally on your website. It helps to know we have some very good people fighting for the right thing to get done. I appreciate everyone who has given their time to help with this issue.

Shari Walsh

Shari,

First let me express heart condolences on the loss of Alyssa's father. I can't imagine how painful it must be for your family.

The Illinois Smallmouth Alliance has advocated the removal of dams on the Fox River. Mainly for environmental reasons but also because of the safety issues as well.

If there will be another rally, be sure to let us know. I will certainly try to be there and with a little advanced notice, we might be able to get a few members out there and spread the word.

Mark

Shari,

First let me express heart condolences on the loss of Alyssa's father. I can't imagine how painful it must be for your family.

The Illinois Smallmouth Alliance has advocated the removal of dams on the Fox River. Mainly for environmental reasons but also because of the safety issues as well.

If there will be another rally, be sure to let us know. I will certainly try to be there and with a little advanced notice, we might be able to get a few members out there and spread the word.

Mark

Mark,

Thank you. I am unsure what our next move will be, but I will be sure to keep you informed. Thanks again.

Shari