Dull hooks

skjordan

Went out Friday to do alittle fishing.

The largest fish of the day at this point was self released after a short battle and for some reason I checked my hook on the back of my thumb and it felt a little dull. "Oh well maybe not" I commented to myself.

Next cast I had on an even larger customer and we had quit a struggle and I thought I had him and he threw the hook.

After a bit of thrashing around in the water, by me, I checked the fly and changed it.

I have never owned a hook sharpener and I dont think I have ever lost a fish because of a dull hook but maybeeeee.

Can someone help me here? I need a good product and just as importantly good instructions to use it.

Went out Friday to do alittle fishing.

The largest fish of the day at this point was self released after a short battle and for some reason I checked my hook on the back of my thumb and it felt a little dull. "Oh well maybe not" I commented to myself.

Next cast I had on an even larger customer and we had quit a struggle and I thought I had him and he threw the hook.

After a bit of thrashing around in the water, by me, I checked the fly and changed it.

I have never owned a hook sharpener and I dont think I have ever lost a fish because of a dull hook but maybeeeee.

Can someone help me here? I need a good product and just as importantly good instructions to use it.

If fish are getting off- you have dull hooks. They get dull quickly. Sharp hooks keep fish. I am constantly changing hooks on topwater baits. New hooks are almost always a cure for losing fish. Can't emphasize enough the difference. Also, cheap hooks dull quick and rust quick. I carry extra Owner Ultra Point or Gammie Trebles to switch out. I don't bother to sharpen as I'll not approach new.

Sharpen down towards the point, not up from it. You can create burs that will actually make it harder to hook a fish.

• 1 month later...

"EZE-Lap Diamond Products, [EZE-LAP.com],

manufactures the best sharpeners on todays market.

The Model "S", is a pocket clip tool, that features a groove for sharpening hooks.

Place the hook point in the groove and use a simple "back-and-forth" rubbing motion.

The "diamond steel" shapeners are a must for cutlery knives and fillet knives.

GAT stocks a huge selection of EZE-Lap Diamond sharpeners----[see Ken for FREE demo].

I've seen a couple pros swear by the fingernail method. If hook will easily scrape/cut fingernail, it's sharp enough.

Balancing a lure on a only a fingernail by the hook should indicate sharp/dull hooks.

That's how sharp your hooks should be- if you ensure your hooks stay sharp- so many less heartbreaks!