Lower East Branch DuPage River Stream Restoration Project update and concept plan

Bart Durham

Deanna Doohaluk of the DRSWC, recently provided an update on this stream restoration project and provided a copy of the Concept Plan Report prepared by Interfluve.  Attached is a copy of their detailed Interfluven Report with cost estimates.

Deanna mentioned that due to the current budget, the plan is to work on Reaches 2-4 as phase 1.  To secure additional funding needed for completion of the project, application has been made with Army Corp of Engineers to secure potential funding available as part of infrastructure bill.  Hopefully the additional funding will be provided so the entire project can be completed.  I will keep you posted as additional information is obtained. If anyone has questions about the project we do our best to get them answered.

Attachment4_LowerEastBr_03222022.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Mike, I'd would be interested to hear about some of your winter fishing techniques on the East Branch.  In its present condition, with silt pockets and deep drop-offs, I find it difficult to wade fish.  Are you mostly shore fishing?

13 hours ago, Bart Durham said:

Mike, I'd would be interested to hear about some of your winter fishing techniques on the East Branch.  In its present condition, with silt pockets and deep drop-offs, I find it difficult to wade fish.  Are you mostly shore fishing?

To cover water I'll walk the shore. When fishing I'll get in and wade to position or for a better casting angle. I know the river bottom of the areas I am wading otherwise I'd advise anyone not to just get in and wade a long stretch of this river. I have most of my luck dragging plastics for the fish, dragging shad pattern flukes, tubes, 1/8oz finesse jigs in the dead of winter. Lightly weighted, usually 1/8oz for me and rigged weedless due to a fair amount of wood in the East Branch. I've found them sometimes more active at each end of winter and willing to chase or they're set up in faster water than you'd think for the time of year.

Appreciate the insight Mike.  The stream is small enough that you can reach most parts of river by wading in shallows, so you don't have to wade to middle of stream.  May try same your technique with a hair jig.

The restoration work will soon begin on the east branch and should help with the silt and bottom problems I mentioned. I'm excited to see the project once completed.

On 4/11/2022 at 10:09 PM, MikeF said:

To cover water I'll walk the shore. When fishing I'll get in and wade to position or for a better casting angle. I know the river bottom of the areas I am wading otherwise I'd advise anyone not to just get in and wade a long stretch of this river. I have most of my luck dragging plastics for the fish, dragging shad pattern flukes, tubes, 1/8oz finesse jigs in the dead of winter. Lightly weighted, usually 1/8oz for me and rigged weedless due to a fair amount of wood in the East Branch. I've found them sometimes more active at each end of winter and willing to chase or they're set up in faster water than you'd think for the time of year.

I'll echo the not getting in part. It's deeper than it looks. I think those narrower streams just cut deeper. Also made the mistake many years ago of trying to negate something in there by skirting through an inside bend. That's when I developed a very mild case of ptsd to muck after sinking in it up my knees. Seriously, I legit get anxious walking through muck now. I finally stopped sinking with about an inch of chest wader left. Took me probably 20-30 minutes to work my way out.

• 2 months later...
On 4/17/2022 at 9:56 AM, Bart Durham said:

The restoration work will soon begin on the east branch and should help with the silt and bottom problems I mentioned. I'm excited to see the project once completed.

Bart, has work begun on this project? I can't find any current info about it.

When I last spoke with representative from Conservation Foundation they were still trying to secure funding for the project.  I'll try to get an update and report back,