Crayfish/Crawdads?

aloomens

While I haven't specifically been looking for them, I just realized I haven't seen a single Crayfish yet this year. Is it too early for them? Are they just hiding from me? :blink:

no they are out. they come out of the ground after it thaws every spring. If you are referring to rivers, check under chunk rock or deadfalls. I have also found them along dam walls in the hundreds.

Actually, the first topwater smallie my brother caught went between 13 1/2 - 14 inches Saturday morning @ 6am.

This bronzeback puked out a 6 inch greenish/orange craw as it was being landed.

I guess there out there somewhere, the smallies appear to be feeding well!

I haven't seen many either come to think of it!!!!!!!!

Al, now is probably a low point in crayfish biomass for the year. This year's young are still pretty small (but growing fast). The adults that died during molting or during winter haven't been replaced yet by this year's juveniles. Dana's right about turning over rocks too. They're going to be under hard structures first or secondarily in weed mats.

Is there a specific system where they're absent, Al?

Crawfish are a noctural creature.

They're most active at night, (dark hours), when most anglers aren't out fishing, and don't see them.

I catch lots of live crawfish, after dark.

I walk along weedy or rocky shoreline, shine a light in the water, and sometime see several.

They skitter along pretty fast.

Ponds craws can be caught during daylight hours, in weedy areas.

Rig a gravel rake with a rope---toss out the rake, and drag it back to shore, bringing in the weeds.

Sort thru the weeds and pick out the crawfish.

Some BIGGIES reside in the weeds.

The 2 - 2.5" size craws are the preferred size that most bass eat.

YUM's baby crawbugs, and the Yamamoto Baby craw are an ideal crawfish imitator, for smallies.

They eat 'em up.

When rigging either bait, I prefer the Gamakatsu G-Lock hook.

Select a hook size that has a throat depth 2X the thickness of the bait.

Shorten the plastic body of the lure, (cut-off some of the tail length), to make it 2.5" long.

Works for me.

Is there a specific system where they're absent, Al?

I just remember in the past walking up to a river, and seeing them scurry around to get away. I don't really remember the time of year, so maybe it's a bit early. I fish the Fox river and the DuPage, and haven't noticed one yet. It just seemed strange. Next time out, I'll look a little closer, and turn over some rocks.