Back to work!

THOMAS C

For those of you who didn’t know the company I was working for went bankrupt and I was out of work! The good news is I’ll be back to work Tuesday after the holiday. A special thanks to Allan S. (ISA Member and fellow 4th Monday tier) who put in a good word for me at the company he works for or should I say WE work for.

So I’m going to celebrate the holiday weekend fishing and tying (I’m home alone). Anyone Game?

C-YA in the stream or at the table soon

THOMAS C

(AKA Grasshopper)

Glad to hear that you have found a new Job. I am sure that it was taxing on you to be out of work. I found myself downsized and out of work back in 1999. However, I was very close to retirement so I didn't need much to get by. Now retired I think back and wonder what I would have done had I been younger. If any of you younger guys and gals out there need some advise I can tell you to get more then one profession going for yourself so you have something to fall back on. Now Thomas if you care to come to Baba's in Shorewood on Sunday the Forth of June I'd be glad to buy your breakfast and then head out onto the DuPage for some Smallmouth Action.

Thomas

Congrats on the new position! I've been out of work before, and I know how much that sucks!

Gary - that's good perspective. I don't think anyone's job is safe anymore, but still a lot of us spend money like there's no tomorrow. Make sure you put some away too!

You are so right Eric. I grew from this and am looking forward to a new begining. I took one of two offers which was less money less hours but only 12 mins from home. More time for the family is what's important for me.

Thanks for sharing.

Tom

12 minutes from home?

That's gotta be priceless!

I've worked no closer than 45 minutes drive (at 5:15 am) most of my life. Add working 12 hours to that to miss rush hour, which I hate driving in. That adds up to a lot of hours.

Luckily, I like my job and I get paid well, on time and with good checks.

Been there before, and with my oldest going to college, don't need to go there again!

Wow- I close on a house Friday morning and instantly add 25 miles to my daily commute (55 miles each way to/from work soon).

BUT- I'll be 5 minutes from the Kankakee River.

Priorities, ya know? :P

Actually, this is with the intention that I'll be changing careers soon and working from my home (fingers crossed).

5 minutes from the K3 huh? Sounds like a plan to me! I live across the street from the DuPage. It's great just to stand on the banks and cast, let alone catch bass. Really something to treasure.

Steve, I've been doing that all my life as well. Not only am I 12 Mins from work i'll be woring 7ish to 3ish.

Where are you at by the Dupper? I was driving by and stopping at the ring road pond quite often and doing well. I'm looking to wade around there soon. You have any luck in the river?

Tom

Reading these posts, I just had to 'chime' in my 2 cents..

I'm 32 and have been with 6 different companies, including one of my own.My company was absorbed by my largest client, and I now work for them. During the transition into self-employment, we had a baby boy. (my first). I don't reallty know how we got thru the bills and such with little insurance and savings going OUT to pay employees sometimes...

It was a sobering experiance to say the least. I got some good insight reading your posts here, and realized how fortunate I am to be where I am today. (a steady income!)

Also, I wanted to add that the stretch on Dupage in Shorewood from the NORTH frontage off Black and 55 (from the dead -end) is a great...great run. I have some pics posted in GEAR and TACTICS forum from the last couple weeks with some explanation of patterns used and times...

This year has been unreal for us on the Duper. The FOX has been as elusive as that winning lotto ticket for me thus far...if anyone has some advice on spots..please feel free to drop me a post:)

Take care all.

J. Derby

Tom

I'm not far from there, but have never fished there. My Dad has and has caught bass. I have not waded the Dupe at all because of the restrictions. However, I know others do, and I've seen a few go by the past few weeks. I may throw on some hip boots just to give me some more flexibility. The shores are growing pretty thick with cover! However, I also like fishing from shore and not having waders on in the hot weather. I'm not a wet wader, but that may change too.