Apple River/Clear Creek Shocking Survey

On Saturday June 16th at 10:00AM the ISA in conjunction with Dan Sallee and the DNR will be conducting a shocking survey on the Clear Creek. The Clear Creek is a tributary with confluence to the Apple River at the Apple River Canyon State Park. The ISA has partially funded a grant that will support stream bank restoration. The DNR wants to do a before and after to test the water quality and fish populations. This we be a fun learning experience and ISA members are invited to participate or just observe. Knowing the location we will be at and the members attending there will most definately be some fishing afterwards.

Please call NW Regional Coordinator Paul Trybul at 815-703-2651 for more information on this event.

Not to be missed either observing or participating. If you participate...

Get the net in front of the fish's head so that if he revives he'll swim into your net.

Move decisively and double dip when they're coming up fast.

Don't neglect the little fish.

Be aggressive but DON'T COMPROMISE YOUR BALANCE, DON"T TOP YOUR WADERS and DON'T FALL.

You'll catch juice through breathable waders once you start to sweat. Bring neoprene or rubber for better insulation.

You'll catch juice through breathable waders once you start to sweat. Bring neoprene or rubber for better insulation.

:blink: Whoa.... always wondered about being in the water during a shocking! Thanks for the advice, Tim!

What about wearing studded boots?

Tim, I planned on wet wading. Is that a bad idea considering electricity will be flowing through the water? I was under the assumption that we would be standing a safe distance below the electrical current. Wet wading is my personal choice, and I'm not necessarily recommending it for everyone.

Never having done this before, I too was kind thinking about wet wading. Thanks for chiming in, Tim. All I have is breathables, but I could pick up a pair of cheap neoprenes if necessary. I plan on doing the Pec River shocking also, so maybe it would be a wise investment.

It was my impression you would get a chance to dip fish, but maybe something else is on the menu, Paul. If the plan is to have members participate in shocking (as I thought it was), you do stand directly IN THE ELECTRIC FIELD while you're electrofishing. You have to be insulated. Most crews will give you heavy rubber waders and gloves besides.

I've never shocked with lug soles, Jim, but I think a friend of mine did with no ill effects. Of course I've done it more than once in a wet suit too, and that was just plain dumb on my part. You'll know right away if you've insulated well enough. :lol:

This stuff isn't for everyone.

If you can't stay on your feet with certainty...don't try it.

If you're prone to mental lapses...don't try it.

If you've got a pacemaker...don't try it.

If you do try it,

DON"T REACH FOR STUNNED FISH WITH YOUR HAND!

DON'T EVER EVER TOUCH THE ELECTRODES!!

DON'T EVER EVER EVER TOUCH TWO ELECTRODES AT ONCE. Dying during field sampling is incredibly rude and it will cut into everyone's fishing time.

This is definitely something to be done at your own risk. There is risk.

That crew will have hundreds or thousands of hours of experience and they will keep you safe. Just follow Dan and Karen's instructions to the letter and you'll be fine.

It's a heck of an experience.

Nevermind. I'm stayin' home. It was the mental lapse thing that sealed the deal. That and death. ( Just kidding. I'm really looking forward to it.)

It was my impression you would get a chance to dip fish, but maybe something else is on the menu, Paul. If the plan is to have members participate in shocking (as I thought it was), you do stand directly IN THE ELECTRIC FIELD while you're electrofishing. You have to be insulated. Most crews will give you heavy rubber waders and gloves besides.

I've never shocked with lug soles, Jim, but I think a friend of mine did with no ill effects. Of course I've done it more than once in a wet suit too, and that was just plain dumb on my part. You'll know right away if you've insulated well enough. :lol:

This stuff isn't for everyone.

If you can't stay on your feet with certainty...don't try it.

If you're prone to mental lapses...don't try it.

If you've got a pacemaker...don't try it.

If you do try it,

DON"T REACH FOR STUNNED FISH WITH YOUR HAND!

DON'T EVER EVER TOUCH THE ELECTRODES!!

DON'T EVER EVER EVER TOUCH TWO ELECTRODES AT ONCE. Dying during field sampling is incredibly rude and it will cut into everyone's fishing time.

This is definitely something to be done at your own risk. There is risk.

That crew will have hundreds or thousands of hours of experience and they will keep you safe. Just follow Dan and Karen's instructions to the letter and you'll be fine.

It's a heck of an experience.

What kind of nets are used, metal framed?????? :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

I bought some neoprene waders last night, so I'm ready for some zappin'. So, Paul, are there any other guys out there that will be participating? I plan on driving out early, getting some fishing time in before hand, then probably stay late and fish 'til dark or so afterwards. If anyone plans to do the same and wants a ride, I have plenty of room. You can come to my house in Cherry Valley if you live east, or if you live west, I can pick you up. The forecast and levels look great!

Just a thought: if anyone plans on fishing prior to the shocking, it would probably be best to stick to the Apple and avoid Clear Creek. I would imagine that the shocking results would be best if the area were left undisturbed.

So far it will be me and my father driving together. I did get a call from a member last night but I think the 3 hour drive from Joliet may have scared him off. It is supposed to be pretty hot on Saturday. I was thinking about getting up early and fishing and then meeting for the shocking. I'm not sure it is possible for me to fish until dark but I would certainly like to if the fish are cooperating. We could all drive together but my father and I might kill your fish till dark plans.

Just three of us? Come on, guys. I don't want to sound like a nag, but I'm shocked (bush league pun intended) that there aren't more guys interested in this.

Personally, ever since I was a kid, every time I look at a body of water my imagination goes wild wondering what might be hiding in there. This and the Pec shockings in a couple of weeks are golden opportunities for me to finally satisfy that curiosity.

As an organization, these are golden opportunities to show the DNR what we are made of. More than just a bunch of guys that love to fish (which, of course we all are), we are also a group dedicated to the protection and improvement of our rivers and streams. We don't just use the resources, we are stewards.

The DNR has a whole lot of influence in one of the biggest parts of our lives. They make the rules. Any time we have a chance to interact positively with them, we should do all we can. Down the road, when we lobby for rule changes to improve our smallie fisheries, hopefully they will think of the ISA as a conservation minded, river loving, helpful bunch of involved fishing citizens. If they know they can count on our involvement, perhaps our input, which I think they already have respect for, will carry even more weight.

Ok...I am now stepping down from my soapbox.