peckatonica river survey

Guest rich mc

Guest rich mc

i talked with idnr biologist karen rivera at the belvidere dam meeting tonight. they can use help with a week long river survey on the pec. it will be the last week of june. she would like two members with full waders . electroshocking various locations with the idnr team . rich

Also Dan Dallee wanted us to help with a shocking/survey on the clear creek branch of the Apple River. The proposed date on this was June 16th and ISA members will be welcome to help or just watch and learn.

I hope the water is low for the pecatonica river survey. That river runs much deeper and siltier than some of the other rivers in the area. This river is a sleeper big walleye river. I'm definately interested in what they shock up. The pec also runs a good 50 miles through IL. Did she mention what area they would be surveying?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest rich mc

the dates for the survey will be the week of june 18th. pick your day she would like two helpers with full waders each day. let me know rich

Am I right assuming this is during the week? Is it for the entire day?

I can take a vacation day any day but Friday that week. Put me down for Monday the 18th. I'm pretty flexible, so if it comes down to it and they're going to be short handed later in the week, I can switch days.

Guest rich mc

yes it is during the 5 day work week. i will get more info as where they will be starting as we get closer. thanks for being flexible on the day , and it is most of the day rich

C'mon guys....how can you pass this up? To sweeten the pot, if anyone signs up to join me on the 18th, I'll drive and buy breakfast. I know there's a man rule about the rider buying, but I'll waive my right to a free breakfast this time.

Paul...I think they need help all five days of that week. I won't argue with saving some fuel. We'll talk as it gets closer.

Tim...it ain't no Belize, but I think your expreience would be great to have along. Does this mean you're going to make the Clear Creek shocking also?

Karen sent me the schedule today and it looks like they are doing 2 weeks of surveys in the Pecatonica River Basin. The 1st week will be done from boats so our help is not needed.

The 2nd week will be done on smaller tribs with electric seine which requires waders and more manual labor. This is where the DNR needs our help. They will be doing 2 sesions a day, one at 9:00AM, the other at 1:00PM starting Monday June 25th and running through Thursday June 28th.

They only need 1-2 people per day. I can take off work Wednesday June 27th. Maybe we can split our time and be more helpful.

Call Paul Trybul at 815-703-2651 if you would like to volunteer for this cool hands on experience.

Guys, if you're up for a little adventure, do not pass this up.

Bring a camera. Get ready to see things you have never seen before. Get ready to meet IDNR biologists up close and personal and get to know them in a setting where they are most at home and at ease. This is worth a vacation day. This is worth vacation WEEK. If you love rivers, fish and fishing, even a mediocre electrofishing stream can be a real eye-opener. It's just plain fun.

It also says a lot about the quality of the ISA's commitment to conservation that the IDNR is willing to invite us on a project like this. This is a great chance to help the IDNR, have a good time, and make the ISA proud. Take advantage of this if you can. You'll remember it forever.