6'6" fly rod

Chris Hammond

After a buddy of mine allowed me to fish with his Orvis flea rod during the April 1st Rock Creek trout fishfest, I've been looking for a similar rod with a much cheaper price to fish in tight streams. Well, I found a 6'6" or a 7' Eagle Claw 5wt. for a bit over $15. I haven't tried it on the water yet, but it has good action and a fairly easy cast. It by no means matches up to the Orvis rod, but it's a fraction of the cost.

www.troutlet.com

Chris

After a buddy of mine allowed me to fish with his Orvis flea rod during the April 1st Rock Creek trout fishfest, I've been looking for a similar rod with a much cheaper price to fish in tight streams. Well, I found a 6'6" or a 7' Eagle Claw 5wt. for a bit over $15. I haven't tried it on the water yet, but it has good action and a fairly easy cast. It by no means matches up to the Orvis rod, but it's a fraction of the cost.

www.troutlet.com

Chris

Hi Chris,

First off, at that price, I can't see much harm in giving it a try. Realize that you will need the rod, and then something to hold your line and then fly line. Whatever you try, do not try to cut corners on the fly line. I'm not saying you need to have the top of the line $60 Clouser line, but don't buy a no-name bargin basement fly line. I really like the RIO lines myself.

People have been arguing about reels for years. It has to hold your line. Beyond that you want something that you can strip the line off of simply while you cast and it has to hold all the line and backing you need. When fishing for the littler trout, you will use your line hand to handle "drag". When you get into larger smallies and such, you may be wishing you had a reel with a smooth working drag. And it may seem like a little thing, but I have been really anoyed by reels that click very loudly when you are stripping line to make a cast.

When you allocate your budget, I recommend prioritizing line, then rod, then reel.

Now I must say I had never heard of a fly rod from Eagle Claw. I checked the web site you suggested. I was unsure about this when the description listed a spinning reel seat. But the photo looks right for a fly rod. My other concern is that it is described as an Ultra-light rod. That may work in really small streams fishing for small trout. I'll advise caution using an ultralight rod while fishing for river or stream based smallies.

I tried a google search to see what else I could learn about this rod. Cabela's does not carry that rod at all. Bass Pro Shops had it listed at least. Personally, I would not buy this rod sight unseen based on the descriptions I have been able to find. I recommend you get your hands on one and I would highly recommend you cast it before you buy it. Even casting in the back yard behind some fly shop is better than buying it unseen.

Like I said up front, at that price, I suppose it is worth a try. But I am rather uncertain about a fly rod described as being for 5-6 wt line and also described as ultralight. Where you will fish and what you will fish for means more in your buying decision than advice based solely on product descriptions. For smallies in moving water, I can't say I would recommend this one.

I know you said you are on a budget, but the best advice I can give you is to visit a full service dealer. The dealer will not only explain everything, they will let you try different combinations and they will help you ask all the right questions to get the equipment that is right for you. He want's you to be a happy customer who comes back again. Some guy on E-bay or a small mail-order place wants to get your money and send you what he is peddling. The dealer will do his/her best to sell you what you need as near your budget as possible. If they can't sell you what you ask for near your budget, then you need to think hard about wether the budget buy you found elsewhere will meet your needs.

Let us know where you are located and someone can point you to a local dealer you can trust. One More Cast in Countryside is a supporter of the ISA and is very centrally located for Chicagoland. I'm sure you have seen postings on these forums from Joseph. If you are farther North or South, perhaps someone knows a local option for you.

Ken S.

Guest One More Cast

Ken's right about reels.

Think of it this way: Reels are like watches, they all tell time. I'm still plodding along with my $49 Orvis watch and I see all kinds of timepieces come in the shop. A Rolex tells the time just as well as my watch.

Spend your money on the rod and the line and get a reel to hold the line. Try to avoid buying twice; don't buy a cheap line now and then a better line later, it will cost you more in the long run.

Take a look at the Series 1 line of rods from Temple Fork Outfitters. Decent rod for the money and it comes with an unconditional lifetime warranty unlike your Eagle Claw. If you can spring for a few more bucks, look at the Pro or the Finesse Series as well.

Joseph

Guest rich mc

i have a 6'6 eagleclaw sweeheart rod. picked up for $10 bucks with a reel about 8 yrs ago . for bluegills it is fine,and works ok in tight quarters. i carry this in my truck,if it gets damaged its no big loss... gee then i can get a temple fork ?? also takes a beating when it is used for the young anglers league .rich

Yeah, I tried the rod and it is pretty whippy. I just wanted to get a compact rod for tight spots...particularly under a bridge on Rock Creek. Ideally, it would be great for a panfish or for a kid just starting out.

Thanks for all the advice on rods, line, reels, and such. I have invested in good line. I received similar advice when I first tried my hand at fly fishing last year. I've been in the market for a good rod, but I'm holding out that my fiance will take my hints and get me a Clearwater rod for a wedding gift. Although, I'm not holding my breath.

Chris

Guest One More Cast
Yeah, I tried the rod and it is pretty whippy. I just wanted to get a compact rod for tight spots...particularly under a bridge on Rock Creek. Ideally, it would be great for a panfish or for a kid just starting out.

Thanks for all the advice on rods, line, reels, and such. I have invested in good line. I received similar advice when I first tried my hand at fly fishing last year. I've been in the market for a good rod, but I'm holding out that my fiance will take my hints and get me a Clearwater rod for a wedding gift. Although, I'm not holding my breath.

Chris

There's more to life than Orvis :blink: .

When you get near to a decision cast everything, then decide.

Joseph