Short Fly Rod

Guest Schad M

Guest Schad M

I currently have 2 rods both are 9 footers one is a 5 wt the other is an 8 wt. I am looking for a shorter rod for small tight streams and rivers. How short is too short? I was reading a book and the author used a 7 or 7'6" fly rod. I was thinking about getting a 7 wt, right in the middle of the 2 that I have. So far I have not seen a short 7wt rod. Any suggestions?

Short rods are usually 3 or 4 wt. these days. Old glass rods of 7 or 8 wt. were sometimes that short. Shakespere made 7' 9" production rods for years. If you are in such close quarters that a 7' or 7' 6" is necessary you can live with the lighter wt. rod as your casts will be short, otherwise work on a sidearm cast with your longer rods, it will make it easier to lay your cast down under those overhanging branches.

Guest One More Cast
I currently have 2 rods both are 9 footers one is a 5 wt the other is an 8 wt. I am looking for a shorter rod for small tight streams and rivers. How short is too short? I was reading a book and the author used a 7 or 7'6" fly rod. I was thinking about getting a 7 wt, right in the middle of the 2 that I have. So far I have not seen a short 7wt rod. Any suggestions?

Come to our casting clinic, I'll show you how to cast the both of the 4 1/2 foot rods you already own.

Joseph

I have a Fenwick 7' 6 wt. Fenglass that is the most awesome! It is the FF70' 3oz. 2 pcs. It moderate in action and loads nicely.

This is one of my favorites over all the graphite and boron rod at any length. Cane is my next favorite material choice.

I had landed smallies, brown trout, largemouth, pickerel, walleye, saugeye and gar with this rod.

Ebay has had several of this model between $45 -$85.

You will be hard pressed to find a short seven or even six weight fly rod as most companies don't make shorter rods in heavier weights. Winston sells some 7 1/2 foot five weight rods which ought to work well for small stream smallies, especially if that rod could handle being overlined.

I've read about people using custom made fly rods made on shorter spinning rod blacks for fishing in mangroves for saltwater fishing.

Guest Schad M

Thanks for the input guys. The book is Flyfishing tactics on small streams by Lou Stevens. There is an awesome little feeder creek that I fish that is really tight so I thought I could use a shorter rod. Actually I think it is an excuse to buy another rod. I took a little hiatus from fishing and now I am into flyrodding so I'm all gung-ho again. I can't wait to catch a smallie on a flyrod.

Guest Schad M
Schad:

Does this mean you are selling all your "old" bass gear????? :rolleyes: Spinning rods, lures, etc??? Hey, concerning your question........have you talked to Paul about building you a short fly rod???

I hadn"t thought of that. Have to give him a call. No, I'm not getting rid of everything else, I'll probably have to fall back to it when I can't catch any fish.LOL