NEED HELP??????

Guest Schad M

Guest Schad M

I INQUIRED AWHILE BACK ABOUT THE FLY-O FLY CASTING AID. I WAS TOLD ONCE THE CAST IS FIGURED OUT THAT IT IS NOT OF MUCH USE. I NEED TO PRACTICE ALL THE TIME AND I WANT TO MAKE ONE. I CANT SIT AROUND AND DO NOTHING IN THE HOUSE WHEN I COULD BE PRACTICING. I WENT TO WAL-MART AND COULD NOT FIND YARN THAT WAS EVEN CLOSE TO BEING THE SIZE THAT THE STUFF ON THE INTERNET LOOKS LIKE. DOES ANYONE KNOW THE SIZE OF YARN USED ON THOSE THINGS? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED AGAIN.

Guest Schad M

Jonn, Your a riot! Wait til you start Fly fishing. It's like starting all over agian new and exciting. I've got an extra Fly rod when you come down to hit ______ creek. Schad >>>----->

Guest Mark P

There is too much made and said about "proper" technique. I've seen fellow fly fishers with marginal technique that can almost cast into their backing and guys who like to cast almost sidearm and can put the fly on the fishes nose at 50'.

I am an FFF and Orvis Certified Casting Instructor and maintain the position that I will show you the basics and then you need to convert them into what is comfortable and works best for you. We all know that there are certain things that need to take place in an accurate cast.

Take a look at Lefty Kreh's casting style. He "pushes" the rod in the forward cast. You won't find this technique taught anywhere but it works very well and very well for him.

I've seen all the gadgets used like yarn in place of fly line, which doesn't do squat for improving your accuracy or distance. The weight is wrong, there is no surface tension to load the rod on the back cast which helps with the forward cast timing and will only lead to problems.

If there are two things that all novice and intermediate level fly casters need to work on is being too quick on the forward cast, which kills both your accuracy and distance and focusing too much on distance. Work on these two things and you'll do just fine.

Spend your money on tying materials or new fly line. It's better spent there.

Mark P