Correct way to tie a Blood Knot?

aloomens

I've seen at least two different ways to tie a blood knot. In a very popular video about knots, it demonstrates that both ends are wrapped in the same direction (both wrapped away from you). In a couple of other books I have, the diagrams show that each tag end is wrapped in the opposite direction from the other. Which way is correct? Does it matter?

Guest One More Cast

Opposite, yes, it matters.

http://www.fish4fun.com/bloodknot.htm

Having said that, I never use it, I'm blind in my right eye and cannot see the tippet go through the little loops. I can tie a double-wing trico spinner on a 1X short size 22 hook but not an effective blood knot. I use a Double Surgeon's instead.

Joseph

Guest One More Cast
I use the Double Surgeons knot for tying on the tippet.

Do you make leaders using double surgeons knots?

Yeah, my leaders are kinda kinky (they do not lay out straight as those tied with bloodknots do) but I have more confidence in the Double Surgeon's than I do with my bloodknots tied poorly.

Joseph

I learned to tie them winding in opposite directions. They're not that hard to tie, you just have to keep the opening in the middle "available" by pinching it with your thumb and index finger. They get sketchy when you hit small tippet territory like 6 and 7x, I never go under 3x for smallies though.

My biggest problem is with the heavier, stiffer mono used for the butt sections. The blood knot never seems to tighten down all the way.

The better choice instead of the blood knot is a double uni-knot.

1) It's easy to tie

2) The standing parts of the leader align unlike the surgeons (or double surgeons) knot

3) You don't have to cut the line from your leader spool before you tie your knot like you do with the surgeons, thereby running less risk of losing the line harming both the environment and your pocketbook unnecessarily.

4) The tag ends don't stick out the sides like the blood knot

5) You don't have to worry about the differential of the line diameters. The blood knot needs to be tied so that the two line diameters are no more than 0.002" different or it will slip.