Fly fishing in Indonesia

Fredmo

While visiting family in Indonesia last week, I toured the port area of Semarang, located on the Java Sea, in Central Java. While driving along I spotted a man in the water, fly fishing. We got out and watched him for a while. He didn't catch anything while we watched.

post-147-0-51365300-1364123793_thumb.jpg

After a while he came to shore, and with the aid of my daughter-in-law as an interpretor, I spoke to him. He showed me his rod and reel, a 5wt Ross rod with an Orvis reel, and the fly he was using, a small white fly that probably was intended as a shrimp imitation. He pulled out a fly box and showed me the flies he had. They all looked pretty good, made by someone who knew what they were doing.

post-147-0-64021000-1364124090_thumb.jpg

post-147-0-20555200-1364124171_thumb.jpg

He told us he tied his flies, having learned how to do it on Youtube, and that he bought his rod and reel on eBay. I had an ISA hat with me and showed it to him.(he thought it was trout on the hat, not bass) He was wearing a shirt with the logo of an International fly-fishing organization. Like most fly fishermen, he was open, friendly, and willing to talk about his sport. I think if I'd asked, he probably would have let me have a go at it with his rod. I didn't. He told us, I think, that either he was fishing for, or had caught at this site, barracuda. He also said he fished in the mountains, about 2 hours away, in smaller streams.

Small world!