Stole from tom l

It is senyo laser dub, ice dub is too flashy for me plus it adds translucence and keeps the craft fur from fouling. I think I am packing the head too much as they want to float for a long time. The bass don't seem to mind, but I want to have it sink a little.

It is senyo laser dub, ice dub is too flashy for me plus it adds translucence and keeps the craft fur from fouling. I think I am packing the head too much as they want to float for a long time. The bass don't seem to mind, but I want to have it sink a little.[/ Try fishing that with a weighted pattern of your choice(Clouser, crayfish) as your lead fly in a tandem setup. Deadly!

Ryan was right. When I designed that fly, I had a tandem rig in mind, a Clouser or a weighted Crawfish as the lead fly and a CF Muddler as a trailer. The weighted lead fly would help bring the CF Muddler down, but since the CF Muddler is slight buoyant it would swim slight higher in the column. This fly also deadly on a lake when fish with a sink tip or full sink line.

There are a few things that you can adjust to make the fly less buoyant:

1) As you had in mind, pack less deer hair on the head.

2) Use a heavier hook.

3) Wrap a lead wire on the hook.

If you don't like fishing a tandem rig, you can also use a split shot - attached it above the leader & tippet knot.

Another variation, I did on the fly sometimes, is adding a contrasting color (red, chart, orange, pink) hackle or schleppen collar.

• 2 weeks later...