State of the Fox River: Summary of Fish Sampling Efforts

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the clarification regarding the site Mike and Don. In all honesty if my knowledge or presence is not wanted or warranted based upon having to be a member I will refrain from anymore posting until I have the ability to become a member of the ISA. As I said, I never intended to create any animosity or problems, just wanted my side of the story in the open. Thanks!!!

No hard feelings on this end.

and nice fish by the way.

Looks like 21" fish to me. A very nice bass. Be proud of it.

State record? Stream fish just don't weight as much. 5 lbs river smallies are rare indeed. 21"+ smallmouth are not nearly as rare as 5 lbs smallmouth. A 21" fish is not a 6 lbers. No way.

I've been lucky enough to have the free time to hunt smallmouth in Indiana rivers and creeks. In the last 4 or so years, I've gotten 27 smallies from 20-22". Not once did I think the fish was close to 5 lbs.

Best to just accurately measure, quick pic and slip her back in for another day.

In the end, who cares about records if ya have a stonking good time? Enjoy yourself, be kind to the fish, and leave it like you came on it.

Well said, and I agree. I didn't really care or even think about a record I just wanted to snap a couple pics and get her back in the water. As far as the weight goes, I entirely agree that river/stream smallies are not nearly as fat, and that's a big reason I was so surprised at this fish, but this fish was thick and fat as can be. I honestly think she definitely broke the 5lb mark, but in all reality I'll never know as I didn't get a girth measurement :)

Guest airbornemike

I dont know if its still included with new ISA member registration but with my new paid membership I recieved a nice small retractable tape line along with some other goodies. I'm sometimes suprised at what I think is a beast really is a bit short, you can get that girth measurement as well with a tape line.

Ya I know about the tape lines. You can pick them up at the dollar store usually, or any kind of craft/fabric store. I've been meaning to get one, just always forget to do it.

Here's a nifty idea. Rather then name calling such as 'bucket heads', 'unethical losers' and such perhaps poacher would suffice? If nothing else it will be less typing. ;)

THERE IS ONLY ONE BUCKETHEAD!!!

i1jkfk.jpg

The Ballad of Buckethead

Whos this guitar-playing sonsa bitch? , is a question common asked.

On his head a bucket of chicken bones, on his face a plaster mask.

Hes the bastard son of a preacher man, on the town he left a stain.

They made him live in a chicken house to try to and hide the shame.

He was born in a coop, raised in a cage. children fear him, critics rage.

Hes half alive, hes half dead. folks just call him buckethead.

Farmers would torment him as he snuggled with the hens.

Theyd hose him down with water, and steal his little friends.

Now late at night hed sneak off to the graveyard all alone,

And play a soapbox guitar to the faces made of stone.

Buckethead found his freedom at the age of 17,

When he burned the chicked house down with a quart of gasoline.

He did puppet shows on corners and bought a real guitar,

And with the help of colonel sanders, hes bound to be a star.

He was born in a coop, raised in a cage. children fear him, critics rage.

Hes half alive, hes half dead. folks just call him buckethead.