Helping out researchers

Jonn Graham

I got a call from this researcher out in New York. I plan to attend if I can.

This is Selmin Creamer and I am the Postdoc Research Associate at the Department of Natural Resources, Cornell University. I just wanted to follow up on our phone conversation. Below is the focus group details.

Cornell University will be conducting a focus group in Peoria, IL, as part of a study funded by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, to assess the potential economic impacts of aquatic nuisance species (ANS) on recreational fishing in the Great Lakes and Upper Mississippi River basins. We will be recruiting 10 to 12 recreational anglers to participate in the focus group. We are looking for participants who fish at inland lakes and/or rivers at least sometimes, although they may fish in other locations, too.

Anglers who participate in the focus group will be asked a series of open-ended questions about how they make decisions about where to fish, what species to target, what fishing techniques to use, etc., and how their behavior might change if fishing quality decreased in response to ANS. Focus group will last approximately two hours, and participants will be offered a $25 Visa gift card and a light meal.

The focus group will be held between 5:30 pm and 7:30 pm on November 15, 2011.

If you are interested in participating or you know someone who may want to participate, please let me know via e-mail or phone based on your convenience. We really appreciate your help as we are trying to gather the focus group as quickly as we can.

Thanks for your time and consideration in advance.

Regards,

Selmin Creamer

Postdoctoral Research Associate

Department of Natural Resources

Cornell University

Ithaca, NY 14853

607-255-2504

sfc55@cornell.edu

They have around 6 anglers already signed up, but wish to have around 12. If you are interested, you can email Selmin through the address at the bottom of his sign off.

Thanks for the post, Jonn. I emailed him, with the disclaimer that I don't get to fish as much as I would like to, or NEARLY as much as some of you guys in the ISA!

ANOTHER point: anybody know of a survey or active study trying to determine the impact of Asian Carp on the smallmouth bass fishery? This upcoming focus group in Peoria is more prospective (what if the carp get into the Great Lakes?). I am talking about a retrospective study of how the fisheries in Illinois have been altered by Asian Carp. I've checked Google / G Scholar and some journal databases but haven't found anything. It's a big deal, and I haven't seen research results yet, but I HAVE read some useful recollections on this board. If there really isn't any research published yet, I would be happy to put together a survey and invite ISA members to at least get a little bit of data together; something's better than nothing!

Best,

Jon H

I got a call from this researcher out in New York. I plan to attend if I can.

This is Selmin Creamer and I am the Postdoc Research Associate at the Department of Natural Resources, Cornell University. I just wanted to follow up on our phone conversation. Below is the focus group details.

Cornell University will be conducting a focus group in Peoria, IL, as part of a study funded by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, to assess the potential economic impacts of aquatic nuisance species (ANS) on recreational fishing in the Great Lakes and Upper Mississippi River basins. We will be recruiting 10 to 12 recreational anglers to participate in the focus group. We are looking for participants who fish at inland lakes and/or rivers at least sometimes, although they may fish in other locations, too.

Anglers who participate in the focus group will be asked a series of open-ended questions about how they make decisions about where to fish, what species to target, what fishing techniques to use, etc., and how their behavior might change if fishing quality decreased in response to ANS. Focus group will last approximately two hours, and participants will be offered a $25 Visa gift card and a light meal.

The focus group will be held between 5:30 pm and 7:30 pm on November 15, 2011.

If you are interested in participating or you know someone who may want to participate, please let me know via e-mail or phone based on your convenience. We really appreciate your help as we are trying to gather the focus group as quickly as we can.

Thanks for your time and consideration in advance.

Regards,

Selmin Creamer

Postdoctoral Research Associate

Department of Natural Resources

Cornell University

Ithaca, NY 14853

607-255-2504

sfc55@cornell.edu

They have around 6 anglers already signed up, but wish to have around 12. If you are interested, you can email Selmin through the address at the bottom of his sign off.