lights and magnifing glass

Guest rich mc

Guest rich mc

which system is easier to work with? the mackinzie lights or the ott lights . i feel the need for the magnifier lens too. does anyone have any preferance of the two. rich

I use a very basic "clamp on light on an arm" that I used to use on a drafting table. This light has served me through so many hobbies. I like the flexibility of adjusting it to different positions and heights. And the price was right. I grabbed it up 20 years ago when my wife said "I'm not using this any more. Should we throw it away."

I have looked at the lights you mentioned, but have no experience with either. I'm anxious to see what those on the forums can share. Maybe I need to put one of those on my Christmas list. My current light works, but if folks say these are that much better, maybe I need to enter the 21rst century.

As far as the magnifying glass. I tried one of those for a bit. I found it terribly awkward and felt it was more in the way than helpful. My eye doctor told me I might find a very low power pair of drug store reading glasses to help me deal with fine print. Those are 1.25x magnification and they are actually helpful for tying. But I did pick up a much higher magnification (2.25x) pair that I often use for fly tying. The glasses do not get in the way like the magnifier does and they do work very nicely.

My only advice is to get some of the low profile ones. They look like just the bottom half of a pair of glasses. They work well for the tying and you can quite conveniently look over the top of them when you are talking to the guy across the tying table or picking your bench-side reference book off the shelf over the tying station at home.

Ken S.

As far as the magnifying glass. I tried one of those for a bit. I found it terribly awkward and felt it was more in the way than helpful. My eye doctor told me I might find a very low power pair of drug store reading glasses to help me deal with fine print. Those are 1.25x magnification and they are actually helpful for tying. But I did pick up a much higher magnification (2.25x) pair that I often use for fly tying. The glasses do not get in the way like the magnifier does and they do work very nicely.

Kens right on the money about the magnifier and the reading glasses.

One tip, take a wolly bugger or smaller fly with you to make sure you get the magnification you need. I normally wear 2.5x for reading but I use a separate pair of 3.25x to tie with, the extra magnification comes in handy on smaller patterns and seeing those base thread wraps. The granny type glassses are also a great idea.

Guest One More Cast
does that have a natural light bulb similar to the ott light? rich

Yep. Very good light to tie under.

Unlike the Ott Light (which I find to have an annoying vibration in the light itself) the Daylight Lamp is not very portable. It is designed for desktop only as it weighs a ton.

In the Giraffe lights on my tying table here at the shop, I use G.E. Reveal brand incandescent bulbs, love the natural lighting.

Just as you would test-cast a rod before buying it, come tie a fly under the Daytlight Lamp and see how it works for you. Same advice goes for purchasing a fly tying vise; if you are not allowed to tie a fly or two on a demo vise before buying it, walk out of the store.

Joseph

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rich mc

i was finally able to stop in the shop today. i sat down and tyed useing the mentioned light and magnifiying lens. let me just say that it is on my Christmas list. the light sure brings out the color and the lens is just the right size, not to big or small. the other item on the list is the thunder creek flies book. if you liked the clouser book this is similar but not as many tying steps. neat is that it has the photo of bait next to the fly it is trying it imitate. rich