blonde style streamers

Guest rich mc

Guest rich mc

i just got some blonde style flies from a guy in new york. joe brooks started that style of a simple bucktail fly in the 60's. i will practice tying them for future tying sessions . does anyone use them?

itjust some bucktail for the tail, tinsel wrapped body, bucktail and flash tied on top of the shank and a large threadhead with either painted eyes or stick on. rich

I used to tie a few of them up from time to time. They're the precursor to flies like the clouser minnow and other streamer patterns. They don't sink as well as a clouser minnnow but if minnow are popping on the surface they'll draw strikes from shallow cruising bass.

If you tie an olive/orange streamer you have a quasi-bluegill or white and blue for certain river minnows, or black, pink and white for creek chubs. So they're a good pattern to have and quick to tie. Use a good iron though, I prefer the mustad 4X long streamer hooks to get a long thin bait fish.

They do fish nice with a sink line or intermediate sink line. Also you can tie them in a bazillion color combinations, olive blondes, silver blondes, and so on. They too, like clousers do best when tied sparse. Even the mickey finn is a sort of a blonde.

If you hit the ohio Fly fishing site, Joe Cornwall has an excellent story, tying and fishing tips on the blondes.

I might be tempted to up a few. Always a good pattern.

Guest rich mc

the colors to tye them are endless. one thing im going to try is plastic eyes on them. originally tied with eyes painted on . the weeds are just below the surface at shabbona and the eyes will keep the fly up , and give a little target too. rich