Lake Erie Question

Dan Draz

Every article I've ever read about smallie fishing in the U.S. refers to Lake Erie as being the "Smallmouth Capitol of the U.S. Philosophically, I pose the following question to those of you who may have the answer. If Lake Erie is really the Smallmouth Capitol as the articles claim, what state is the Capitol located in? Obviously, it borders four states plus Canada but I do not know anything about it, where on Lake Erie one goes or in what state for the great fishing. Or is it on the Canadian side they are talking about? I am not looking for a big boat type trip but more of an inimate two person guided type trip that I can take my son Quinn on since it is really a regional trip for us. Any thoughts on that or names of people in those states who may be able to answer some questions for me? I'll probably post this in a couple places but any inside information on places to go/guides/cities etc would be greatly appreciated. I'm already taking smallie trips to other states so this is strictly a Lake Erie quest.

The Western Basin is most noted for its Smallmouth fishing. I believe that would make Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Ontario Canada all have a stake in this. The Central basin is mostly Steelhead and Trout Species and the Eastern Basin has a fair population of a mixture of Walleye, Bass and Trout. Here is a good article on this and hope you find it helpful.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Lake-Eries-Weste...&id=1329539

Guest Dansgonefishing
The Western Basin is most noted for its Smallmouth fishing. I believe that would make Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Ontario Canada all have a stake in this. The Central basin is mostly Steelhead and Trout Species and the Eastern Basin has a fair population of a mixture of Walleye, Bass and Trout. Here is a good article on this and hope you find it helpful.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Lake-Eries-Weste...&id=1329539

I just received a summary of the Ohio DNR fishing forecast for Lake Erie. The report said that the Smallmouth fishing would be only fair. My suggestion would be a guided trip on Green Bay. It is just as close and there are more areas to hide from the weather. Much like Lake Erie there is also the possibility of multi species, Walleye, Trout, Northern Pike, Musky and even monster carp on the flats. The water in Green Bay is also clearer so sight fishing is a possibility. I also think that the average size in Green Bay is larger. The only downside may be a longer boat ride to get to the prime fishing grounds.