Not Much!

boblongjr

Thanks Bob,

That looks like it is not too tough to tie and I can imagine that it would be quite effective. You listed the weight of the jig/hook. But I'm having trouble visuallizing the size of this fly. If you had included a coin in the picture (for size reference) would you have used a quarter or a dime? If I were to use say a 2x long Nymph hook, about what size hook would it be?

If the jig is that light in weight, I imagine it casts very much like a a fly tied with a cone head. I like tying cone head flies, but I sometimes find that if I rush or if I'm not careful, the cone get's loose over time. Sometimes it takes a long time, but often it takes less time than I would like before things get loose. By tying this on a jig hook, one does not have to deal with that weight getting loose on the hook.

Thanks again,

Ken S.

Here is the size of the fly, also some of the jighooks. I have used cones and dumbell eyes, but I found the hook still rode point down. Simply putting weight on the hook near the eye, (even on the top of the shank) doesn't change it's design characteristics and flip a hook designed to ride point down into a hook that rides point up.

I found a great deal of difference in what I tied a fly to do, and what it actually ended up doing in the water, in current. 've found many flies didn't do as the tyer intended. There is a great deal of difference between a fly in the vise and one in the water. Maybe it was just me, but after many years, I abandoned cones and lead eyes and turned to jighooks.