Blowout Tying Contest

jude

It's that time of year again. Time to hone your creative skills and come up with a pattern or two to enter in the annual Blowout Fly Tying Contest. Being the reigning undisputed heavyweight champion tier of the 2008 Blowout, I have many perks, duties, and responsibilities. Other than the use of a bronze Cadillac for a year, my favorite perk is that I get to choose the theme for the next contest.

I think we're due for a topwater, so I'm going to go with a frog.

Foam, fur, whatever works. Bring as many patterns as you'd like to the Blowout. Time to get tying!

Guest rich mc

time to get Hopping... lol. this contest always teaches us a new material, type of hook or something we can all learn from. best of all is all the flies are combined for a raffle prize. imagine winning over a dozen or so frog patterns . jude has won 2 of the last three years his reign is about to end . rich

well I'll toss one in for the heck of it. I dont really fish frogs or tie them for that matter :mellow: , but I'll give it a shot anyway. I've only ever tied 4-5 of them. but its all in fun anyway and I get to tie something different than my usual carp flies.

Joe

Guest rich mc

in 2008,the last cut of all the contest flies were tank tested to see how theyreact in or under water. so bear that in mind. judges last year were the idnr biologist, our science director and a long time fly tyer. flies can be sent to john or rich.or brought to our fly tying sessions. or bring to the blowout. there is no limit on patterns that can be submitted rich

Guest rich mc

the frogs are multipling fast.i have two for the contest and about 6 extra frogs for my topwater fly box. had to take a break from the frogs and work on a bunch of crayfish. sunday i'll tank test a hula grub imitation fly. rich

jude, do you have the pattern written down for the winning craw fly last year. have you tied up more of themsince last year rich

I hate to say it, but I have to answer "no" to both questions. I never drag the bottom with flies, so never even tried the fly. I'll be sure to write down the recipe when I concoct the winning frog. Ha!