flies by joe d

Guest rich mc

Guest rich mc

Joe Donato will be tying his crawbug and hex patterns at the shabbona lake sportsman club meeting. This is on sunday dec 14th he will tye at noon 2hrs before the meeting. this is open to anyone. Location is Houlihans bar on rt 30 in waterman, next town east of Shabbona . Joe will also demonstrate the Centerpin style of fishing at the meeting.and his flies will be available for sale rich

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting my stuff all togather for sunday. I'm gonna bring the golden stones(realistics) as well. I will demo how to make them. but it will be showing each stage, cause they are so time consuming. you need time for the flex seal to dry. I'll have each stage so the guys can see how its done. I have 2 big foam boards full of flies to bring.

Joe

Guest rich mc

i m wondering how the hex, tied on a jig hook would work using the float n fly system. jonn's float n fly is made for stationary and slight movement which the hex would give . will find out sunday. rich

I guess it could be done, but I dont think it would be as effective as it is tied the way it is. a lead jig head would cause it act like a jig. the hex nymphs specificly works best when dead drifted. that is a much more natural presentation to the fish. in nature they are sometimes brushed off or somehow get washed away. they are not good swimmers so they drift in the current until they can cling back onto the bottom or a rock, weeds or whatever. the hex I tie is slightly weighted with lead wire, but only enough to get it down alittle, not enough to be fished like a jig. there are probably better choices to tie on a jig head, however a hex is not one of them. this is where a centerpin really shines to present a dead drifted bait. this is real float 'n fly fishing at its finest. I will also have some tandem hex wgglers that are dy-no-mite. see you guys sunday and we'll talk about this more.

Joe

Guest rich mc

joes flies are even nicer in your hand. he demoed a crawbug for the group. spent more time going over his other flies and materials he uses. his homemade dubbing brush maker was cool. didnt have time to tye a hex on a non weighted jig hook but it should work. most of his flies are tied on tiemco 300 hooks .

joe explained the centerpin fishing system . now we know how simple it is and why its so effective. rich