Fly ID

dcashion

Hello everyone, I'm new to ISA and like to flyfish (although I am probably a threat to public safety if anyone is about :)). One of my tendencies is to just throw stuff on a hook and then go fish it to see if it works. I did one of these a few days ago and have been catching dozens of small crappie and a few bass on it in Eureka Lake. Can anyone tell me what the real name of it is??? I'm been temporarily calling it a silver bellied leach headed maribou streamer.

Guest rich mc

it appears to be a variation of a simple marabou streamer. i can see how it would be attacked by crappie. i like the silver wrapped on the hook shank, and thicker chenille head to push water and the marabou which gives plenty of movement. rich

There is a variation on the Muddler Minnow that uses a chennille head instead of deer hair. I just can't thing of what it's called. I'll post it when I remember. It looks like a small, maribou version of that. Nice.

There is a variation on the Muddler Minnow that uses a chennille head instead of deer hair. I just can't thing of what it's called. I'll post it when I remember. It looks like a small, maribou version of that. Nice.

That's not even close to a Muddler pattern, even a marabou Muddler.

It looks like a shad dart with a lump of chenille on the front. The marabou is too thin and the dye in the chenille will bleed into it after fishing it a couple of times. The chenille isn't anywhere near large enough to justify even putting it on there - "pushing water???". Take a look at the head on a Muddler, Madonna or Zoo Cougar. Those heads are designed to push water and alot of it.

The fly I was thinking of is called a Thief. It was developed by Dan Gapen, the son of Don Gapen (who developed the original Muddler Minnow).

Here is link to a modern variation of the Thief that's tied on an inverse hook, and uses dumbbell eyes:

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Modern_Thief.htm

Here's a link to some discussion on, and picture of the "standard" Thief:

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=11141

Hey M. Damian, I don't know who you are but my Mother always said that if you can't say something nice and positive then sit on your hands and wait until you can think of something constructive to type.

I agree. The beauty of the art is that the "sky's the limit" with regard to creativity. Everybody has their opinion I guess and we ought to at least respect that; right or wrong.