Clear Creek Project

Yesterday it was a pleasure talking to Dan Sallee, regional biologist for Northwest Illinois working at the Cedar Creek shocking. After the shocking, Dan and I drove out to the Apple River to look at the work site for the Clear Creek project. Jude and I took a look at the creek back in April and I was glad for a chance to discuss the work with the state biologists working on the project. He'll recognize some of these areas from our visit then.

The ISA contributed $2,500 to stream restorations in Apple Canyon State Park on Clear Creek. Some of the other funding sources have been slow to come together, but the contractors have been contacted and the lunker structures are being prepared for installation and work is moving ahead.

The work sites for lunker installations are shown below. The bank with the stone work was stabilized in the mid 90s using the stone shown here. In the interim the stone has been undercut and is slumping into the pool. In addition to work on the sites shown here a few other sites are going to be stablized to reduce the amount of silt they are contributing to the sediment budget.

great report tim. glad to have some photos before the work is done. the lunkers are being built this saturday- see post in northwest forum. the installation of all 7 lunkers will be in mid october. ISA is donating $2,250 for this, a grant from the Federation of Fly Fishers $1500 and $250 from the Rock river flycasters . then there is work by theIDNR and matching funds from usfw and the grant from the driftless area.

great report tim. glad to have some photos before the work is done. the lunkers are being built this saturday- see post in northwest forum.

Actually, Rich, that may or may not be happening. It seemed that they were short on volunteers to get those built. How many are planning to attend?

I've had no replies to the initial post asking for volunteers. I know Karen was thinking about canceling but hadn't heard anything definite. Since I knew of no volunteers, I wasn't too concerned about getting a definite answer. I'm sure Stan will have his gear with so it won't be a wasted trip if it is canceled.