Apple River USGS Hanover station

Guest Don R

Guest Don R

Funding for the Hanover monitoring station will run out as of 9/30/06. The stream flow guages on this and other rivers are a very valuable tool for ISA members and others. I'm not sure what amount of money it would take to keep this going. Perhaps it could be something the ISA could contribute to. Here's a link to the USGS monitoring site. http://waterdata.usgs.gov/il/nwis/uv?05419000

Don R

Don, the funding problem with the valuable gauges is systemic - beyond just one gauging station.

The best possible course of action is to contact U.S. House and Senate representatives to ask them to restore funding for the program. Otherwise, non-profits will be picking up the tab every year, and that is roughly 10 to 15 thousand per qauge per year (roughly).

Illinois DNR picked up the tab for a few to keep operating, but this cannot be sustained.

-Marc

Don, I was part of the discussions around setting up the system on Little Kickapoo Creek (which is currently not operating either...you can find it on the USGS map, but there is never any data. I assume it also has run out of money after less than a year of operation). The number I have in my head from those discussions was 12K a year.