Hey Jude (Bug)...

Guest Mark P

Guest One More Cast

I have a couple here at the shop and there are very cool bugs.

One of our members saw it at the fly Show and pooh-poohed it as nothing more than a glorified Gurgle Bug but he could not be more wrong. It is quite innovative and looks to be very well designed;well tied and durable as well as devestaingly effective.

None other than Dennis Potter, fly designer for Umpqua feather Merchants pronounced it to be a "D@mn fine bug".....high praise indeed.

Joseph

Guest Mark P

How about a picture. I can't find one on the Web.

I have a couple here at the shop and there are very cool bugs.

One of our members saw it at the fly Show and pooh-poohed it as nothing more than a glorified Gurgle Bug but he could not be more wrong. It is quite innovative and looks to be very well designed;well tied and durable as well as devestaingly effective.

None other than Dennis Potter, fly designer for Umpqua feather Merchants pronounced it to be a "D@mn fine bug".....high praise indeed.

Joseph

Guest Mark P

Joseph:

Never mind. Found a picture.

Its a Gartside Gurgler with rubber legs, eyes and a marabou tail in lieu of bucktail. Looks like it'll catch some Smallies!

How about a picture. I can't find one on the Web.

Gurgler Schmurgler. PM me your address and I'll send you a freebie or two. (that goes for any ISA guys) It's now tied as a popper/slider convertible. With the hood forward it's a popper. Flip it backwards and it's a slider. Not all the ones that I gave away at the blowout work that way, but from here on out they all will be convertible. On the advice of Joseph, I've also gone to a slightly heavier, wider gapped hook.

Thanks for the kind words, Joseph.

Guest rich mc

the thing i like best about the jude bug is the way the eyes support the wider popping surface. i am sure glad we didnt do a foam bug as the fly contest. rich

Guest One More Cast

Again, it's not a Gurgle Bug. Those you have to tie on to a tippet and actually fish. This is time consuming and wastes tippet.

Get a Jude Bug from Jude and put it in your fly box, go to the river, wade in and just show your box to the water, the fish will hit it.

It's that good.

Joseph

Good point, Joseph. I really should warn people about the dangers of being near water with an exposed Jude Bug anywhere on your person. Here's a true story:

My wife's cousin's friend has a co-worker who bought some Jude Bugs. He was wading in the West branch of the East Kishwaukee River fishing for smallies. He's one of those guys that keeps some flies on his hat. Well, as he approached a hole on an outside bend that was know to hold huge smallies, the mother of all smallies jumped out of the hole after the Jude Bug that was stuck in the poor guys hat.

Took his head clean off.

They say it was a thirty incher.

Guest Mark P

Thanks Jude, I'm looking forward to getting and fishing them.

Two questions:

1. What do you feel are the most effective color combinations for the "Bug" and

2. Your recommendations on fishing them (i.e. dead-drift/swing, pop, swim, et.al.)

If they are effective as you say, I want to put the odds even more in my favor...

Once I get out with them, I'll give you a full report/testimonial.

Best Regards,

Mark

Mark, I'll be putting two in the mail to you this afternoon. Let me know what you think! (Just be careful)

I've never been a real big "color" guy. I doubt it makes much of a difference. Last year I used mostly black. I figured black would stand out most to a fish looking up.

Then, when Holschlag ordered his, he asked for bright colors, mainly yellow and white. He agreed with me that color didn't matter too much to the fish. His logic for wanting brighter colors was to make it easier for the fisherman to see it. That makes sense to me. Also, with the amount of backlighting as a fish looks up at a topwater, probably anything looks black.

As a matter of fact, I just got up from the computer and did a little experiment. I turned all the lights off in the kitchen.

I faced the window (surface) from the darkened room (river bottom) and held a black Bug in one hand and a yellow Bug in the other. I held them both out towards the window, and due to the backlighting, there was very little difference. I guess that answers my question! Since they look pretty much the same to the fish, why not use a brighter bug to improve visibility?

In popper mode, I fish it with a pop and pause, pop and pause, varying the pause. Sometimes during the pause I shake the rod tip to impart a little quiver as it sits. To get the best pop, I point the rod tip towards the Bug, putting the tip almost in the water. A quick jerk/strip of the line makes a nice splashy pop.

In slider mode in slow water I sweep the rod a couple feet then stop and let the bug drift back towards the surface. I find that works better than trying to strip it in. In current, I let it get way dowstream of me and then slowly strip it back. The current keeps it a foot or so below the surface.