Home Again

Guest Don R

Guest Don R

Perhaps it was a bit too cold for my first wade of the year. I felt confident having waded the area numerous times before. The river water was a numbing 36 degrees but somehow the morning sun made it feel oh so much warmer. With the bright sun shining and birds springing to life I slowly made my way off the dry land and into the chilly river. It's hard for me to describe the feeling I get from being "one with the water".

I've fished from shore for the last few months. Sure, I caught fish, but something seemed to be missing. As I began my first wade of the new season I knew exactly what that "something" was. There are times where I feel more stable in the water then on land. Strange as it sounds, I prefer to wade a stream with very little clarity over one that I can see my feet in.

I will admit that there's a certain amount excitement one gathers from sight fishing! And no one can deny the thrill of watching another bass chase after the smallie that's already on your lure. But to truly get the sense of wading, I need to be in "dirtier" water. When I can't see my feet under water it awakens another part of my senses.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention something about the dangers of wading here. Some fisherman use wading staffs. While I don't use one currently, it certainly doesn't mean I'm against them. I've had a few close calls, as I'm sure many of my fellow ISA members have. If you follow this simple train of thought while wading it will keep you out of most unsafe situations : When in doubt, don't do it!

How many of us have tried to step over a rock or log when we should have stopped, reconsidered the move and simply walked around the obstruction? Slow down, enjoy the wade and everything that goes with it.

As I continued my short fishless wade I felt more alive then I have in a long while. Perhaps it was my legs beginning to sting from the cold, but I think it was much more than that. It felt great to be back in the water. An indescribable feeling that can only be summed up as feeling Home Again.

Perhaps it was a bit too cold for my first wade of the year. I felt confident having waded the area numerous times before. The river water was a numbing 36 degrees but somehow the morning sun made it feel oh so much warmer. With the bright sun shining and birds springing to life I slowly made my way off the dry land and into the chilly river. It's hard for me to describe the feeling I get from being "one with the water".

I've fished from shore for the last few months. Sure, I caught fish, but something seemed to be missing. As I began my first wade of the new season I knew exactly what that "something" was. There are times where I feel more stable in the water then on land. Strange as it sounds, I prefer to wade a stream with very little clarity over one that I can see my feet in.

I will admit that there's a certain amount excitement one gathers from sight fishing! And no one can deny the thrill of watching another bass chase after the smallie that's already on your lure. But to truly get the sense of wading, I need to be in "dirtier" water. When I can't see my feet under water it awakens another part of my senses.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention something about the dangers of wading here. Some fisherman use wading staffs. While I don't use one currently, it certainly doesn't mean I'm against them. I've had a few close calls, as I'm sure many of my fellow ISA members have. If you follow this simple train of thought while wading it will keep you out of most unsafe situations : When in doubt, don't do it!

How many of us have tried to step over a rock or log when we should have stopped, reconsidered the move and simply walked around the obstruction? Slow down, enjoy the wade and everything that goes with it.

As I continued my short fishless wade I felt more alive then I have in a long while. Perhaps it was my legs beginning to sting from the cold, but I think it was much more than that. It felt great to be back in the water. An indescribable feeling that can only be summed up as feeling Home Again.

Amen

Guest Don R
hey don, next time we fish indian creek stay in the water. you know how slippery those banks are. how is your reel? rich

That fall just proved my point. I'm much better in the water than on land. That could explain the webbed toes :blink: The reel needs a good cleaning and it should be fine ;)