Smallie Attack!

Jim J

I have always heard that a Smallie will take a crayfish into it's mouth and clamp down. If the shell is hard it'll spit it back out. Whenever fishing with a Yum Crawbug, I always feel the initial "hit", then wait for the 2nd or 3rd tap to set the hook. I've always attributed the first hit as the "test run". Crawbugs seem to work pretty well year round, so who knows what's what with the whole molting issue?

It has been my understanding that most all crawdads are spit out multiple times before the final gulp as a means to determine if it is dead yet.

The story I heard is that the bass is "looking" at it to determine this.

Saw a video years ago that seemed to support it, but I'd like to read more on it....and find the video again.

I've caught an 8in smallie and a 20in smallie on the same 4in tube.

I don't know how many smallies I've caught smaller than the bait I was throwing. Given my penchant for catching dinks, it must be in the many dozens by now. I suspect it wasn't their intention to eat those rapalas etc. either though.

And all that fits with the photos that started this thread. As Jason noticed, those are big crayfish.