Shad

Jimmy M.

Guest rich mc

thread fin shad are probably not what you have seen, they dont survive when the water gets below 60or 50. gizzard shad are extremely abundant at shabbona lake this fall. shad that dont reach 4 inches normally die off around ice up. rich

• 2 weeks later...

Reading about Eric's continued success on the Fox, I keep going out to the St. Charles pool. Much to my frustration, my results are only 5% of Eric's. However, another regular out there told me about seeing schools of shad recently. I saw my first one yesterday, a mature gizzard shad. It was about 8 inches, upper jaw longer than lower jaw, blueish patch on the shoulder, dark spot had disappeared. I'm assuming that this is a recent development in the Fox. Am I off base? I curious what others think about the impact of this species on the river.

Reading about Eric's continued success on the Fox, I keep going out to the St. Charles pool. Much to my frustration, my results are only 5% of Eric's. However, another regular out there told me about seeing schools of shad recently. I saw my first one yesterday, a mature gizzard shad. It was about 8 inches, upper jaw longer than lower jaw, blueish patch on the shoulder, dark spot had disappeared. I'm assuming that this is a recent development in the Fox. Am I off base? I curious what others think about the impact of this species on the river.

Yes, the gizzard shad do seem to be a recent addition to the Fox. I first started seeing them in 2008 and at the time I had a conversation with a gentleman who has been fishing the river a very long time. He claims to have never seen any in all his years until recently. I believe The last survey (2007) shows them being present in very small numbers. as far as impact, I really have no idea but I would think they would be beneficial as forage.

Guest rich mc

they area great source of protein and will help fish attain more weight. but one draw back is they can get too big for some fish to eat and they do compete with planton eating fish such as bluegills when they are small. dont think it matters since the numbers are low. rich

Shad = heavier bass, faster growing bass.

Be happy they are in your river, if you are a bass fisherman. They aren't a problem in rivers because of floods and all, the river populations have significantly more turnover in fish mortality #'s each year.

They are in most streams in Indiana. The ones with significant populations can see some monsterous smallies.