Illinois River/Illini State Park

jcarroll

I'm headed for Illini State Park for the weekend. I've never been before. Looking at the Google satellite photos, it appears to be right by a lock and dam stretch of the Illinois river. Looks like Person Creek flows through the park as well. Has anyone ever fished this area? Should I bring my kayak or can you just fish the banks? Any input/knowledge would be appreciated. 

If there are any Blues fans out there, Big Dog Mercer is going to be playing at Starved Rock Sat night...… thus the last minute trip!

John

Not the best fishing park in the area. Like Eric said, the rivers are all high and dirty. You can bank fish a few spots but I don't think it is worth the time. You are better off fishing ponds or lakes right now. Problem with that  is, you don't have many options near by.  Maybe Lasalle Lake or Heideke lake to the south and east of Illini. Both are big boat lakes or bank fishing due to being perched lakes. LaSalle water temp is probably very high right now. Heideke is not in service and may be the better option. 

Maybe others can suggest other options.