Tangled

Any tips on how to reel your line all the way into the reel for storage and then get in out again without surgery? I was thinking about getting one of those racks for the front on the car so I always have the rods strung up ready to go so I wouldn't have to ever break them down but there has to be an easier way.

Thanks

Phil

Fortunately, mine fits in my Subaru withouth breaking it down. If I am moving around from spot to spot, I keep it tucked under the windshield wiper. Not the best, but it works great. I just got back from Montana yesterday, and my rod stayed under the wiper the whole trip, most of which was gravel roads. Wouldn't suggest it on highways though. Other wise, sounds like a perfectely good excuse to buy a new car! Good luck. Ryan

If you still want to break it all the way down (after reading the good advice above about leaving it partially/wholly rigged), and your reel has a ported spool (holes in it), you can reel it all the way up and stick 4" of tippet, leader, or fly line (whatever's last) out of one of the holes on the spool.

Also an elastic band with a hole in it (think--larger version of a tippet spool tamer). This assumes you have a quick-change spool system so you can apply the band with the spool removed after fishing (and remove it before you start next time). You can make this out of an old pair of boxer shorts if you're a penny-pincher or an environmentalist. No judgement :)

Never thought about leaving the line through the guides and putting it back in the tube. Good idea about sticking the line through a hole in the spool. I recently inherited a bunch of fly rods from friends so it's times to get back on the fly thing. Thanks. There's been a great fluke bite going on so I might give a white streamer a shot.

Thanks again

Phil

All you do is put the fly in the hook keeper while leaving slack in the flyline. Break the rod down( on a 4piece into equal halves).Holding both halves pull in the slack by hand until the butt section of the leader starts to clear the last snake guide on the upper half and reel inj the rest of the slack.

I agree with ronk. To stabilize the bundle I tie the sections together with two tie tapes and make sure the fine tip does not strcik out where it could be easily snapped.