Question for the experts on fishing line

Rob G

Do you spin fishermen ever have any qualms about using 10 lb test fluorocarbon line vs 8 lb test fluoro line? Do you feel the heavier line reduces the number of strikes on slower moving baits ? Just curious because I have tended to use 8 lb fluoro line as my tippet forever but the other day had a bruiser break me off and was wondering if the added insurance of stepping up to 10 lb fluoro for my tippet would come with any disadvantages. As always, thank you for your input.

I don't think that it will matter in most situations. I use 10 pound exclusively now on most applications in the summertime. In winter I will downsize to 8lb test, especially if I am fishing light jigs or jerkbaits. BTW, I almost always use braid on spinning tackle, and mono or flouro on my baitcasters. 20 lb braid casts just as far as mono/flouro, and you won't have to worry about a fish breaking you off...even if you snag a carp or hook a big flathead.

I like 1x for lmb.It turns over bigger flies well & stands up to the snaggy places they inhabit.2x is good for smb.!x in murky water like the Fox.In a weed choked river like the Dupe a 7.5' ix would be ok for topwater.It might be a mistake but I don't use fluorocarbon.

Why use fluoro over mono in the first place? Most of the initial claims about flouro have proven to be false. It is not any more invisible under water than mono, it stretches about the same as mono, it has shown questionable knot strength and it costs a lot more than mono. If you are looking for a leader that sinks, it could be helpful. It is more abrasion resistant than mono, but is that really a factor in fly fishing? There is also the issue that if you stretch flouro, it does not return to it's original shape like mono does which weakens the line. All things considered, as you can probably tell, I'm not much of a flourocarbon fan.

Scott,

I use fluoro for the exact reasons that you mention. It is denser than mono so it supposedly sinks faster and deeper than mono which I want for my streamers, (remember I can't just add weight easily in order to get my fly down without other consequences) and the abrasion resistance is supposedly superior. I say this "supposedly" because I haven't verified these claims. Cost is not a factor for me because I only use 3 feet of this stuff at a time and so a 200 yd spool lasts me forever. Btw, compare the cost to a modern fly line and the cost of the fluoro is chump change. Also what lb. test mono of line do you usually use?

John,

any particular Maxima series of line that you might suggest. If the stuff really tests way above the rating, would I not just be more apt to use the 8 lb Maxima if it tests out to 10 lb test or greater?

I use 15 lb flouro in crystal clear water without any problems catching fish. I've checked out mono and flouro in a pool and flouro is less visible than mono imo.

I'm no expert, but with limited experience in chasing SMB on the Fox. Here are my 2 cents.

Three years ago when I started fishing the Fox river, I started of using a Frog Hair 2x Fluoro tippet with advertised test strength of 10lbs. But I had experienced several breaks off from big fish like you did. I think most of the breaks off were due to my laziness. I didn't check and didn't change the tippet often enough. So, I increased my tippet size to 0x (13.2lbs advertised test strength). Since then I have not had any break off. It has been work well. And I didn't have to check and change the tippet as often.

At the beginning of this year, I found an old spool of Berkley Trilene XT 10lbs in one of my fishing bags. So, I started using it for SMB fishing on the Fox. It has been working wonderfully also. I have not had any break off neither. It is a lot cheaper than the Fluoro leader line. Maybe the Fox river is not a clear river and maybe that is why I could get away with it.

I also like to point out that my entire leader have always been 100% Fluoro. I was just switching the tippets.

Rob:

As far as I know, there is only one series of Maxima. It does come in different colors. I use the chameleon color...............though I think the color of your line makes no difference to a river smallie. I buy it in bulk from Cabelas (much cheaper than the tiny spools offered by fly shops). You are right, it probably over-tests. Using 8 would be fine. I like the ten pound when using heavier, bulkier flies as the ten is nice and stiff and helps turn the fly over.

I have been using 10 pound test fluorocarbon fishing line as tippet for a long time and break offs have never been a problem. In all likelihood, the 10 pound test line that I have been using has a breaking point higher than 10 pounds anyway. The diameter of this line is probably larger than using fly fishing tippet, but the bass don't care and a 200 yard spool of fishing line cost far less than tippet. The Fluorocarbon line is much more abrasion resistant than most mono lines.

Well the expert consensus was right.

I stopped by Gander yesterday and picked up some Seaguar 10 lb Invisx for tippet and ended up with a really nice day today. I landed a half dozen high quality fish with the largest heifer coming in at 19 3/4". Try as I might, I couldn't eek out another 1/4" :( It seemed to have no adverse effect even in the very clear water that I was fishing and it was comforting to have that additional knot strength.

Thanks!