June events

The weekend coming up is going to be a busy one for the Chicago region. Saturday June 16th is of course Sgt. Tommys Kids day.Everyone that has volunteered for this event in the past has thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

The following day June 17th the Chicago region and the Central region are going to hold a joint outing on the Kankakee river.Meet at 8:00am at the concession stand at Kankakee river state park.For those that are interested we can meet for breakfast at the Bakers Square restaurant in Bourbonais at 7:00am. Reply here if you are interested

http://www.dnr.state...r2/kankakee.htm

The weekend coming up is going to be a busy one for the Chicago region. Saturday June 16th is of course Sgt. Tommys Kids day.Everyone that has volunteered for this event in the past has thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

The following day June 17th the Chicago region and the Central region are going to hold a joint outing on the Kankakee river.Meet at 8:00am at the concession stand at Kankakee river state park.For those that are interested we can meet for breakfast at the Bakers Square restaurant in Bourbonais at 7:00am. Reply here if you are interested

http://www.dnr.state...r2/kankakee.htm

http://maps.google.c...F-8&sa=N&tab=wl

No one for breakfast? WWJD [what would Jude do?]

I'll be there at 8. I'm hoping those storms in Iowa don't come across & screw things up. I've fished the Kank solo and with my buddy Kevin a couple times but never hit a hot bite. Looking forward to meeting some folks who fish it more often!

Brian

Oh, I bet lots of us are interested in breakfast, but not the other side of the State Park. Maybe in Pontiac, or Dwight.

By the way, the rains and lightening are just now reaching the Lake Bloomington area. Hope they blow through in a hurry.

Well, it's 5:30 am and looks like the river has come up around 6 inches. chances are it will steadily rise at least a couple more inches this morning. I'm still making the trip,but will be willing to turn around at a moments notice if someone posts that the level surged up horribly, or that water clarity is too bad to fish.

Brian

Well, how'd everyone fair? Us central region guys headed back to familiar territory. Brian and I smashed em. Each of us caught 40+ fish! Biggest for both of us was around 15 inches. What a great day on the river! Hooked into a 20+ in smallie and it morphed into a drum before I could get it to hand... I hate it when that happens, but hey at least it was 23 inches.

Should have gone with you and Brian. John, Carl, Eugene and I did some scouting and a short time fishing the Du Page. All I got was a couple of blow ups on a top water, The others had just a couple of small ones as far as I know.

For the event we had a turn out of 14 members which I was very pleased with all things considered. There was some good conversations going on with good information being shared and future hook ups formulated.

My thanks to all that made the effort to show up despite the ominous conditions Sunday morning.

Ed B

Nothing caught initially, missed three hits on jigs. i was watching the river rise, seeing the debris and boils move closer to shore, seeing the slower, slacker water decrease as the seam moved shoreward. zach did a cleanup on the area before we moved off to do some retention pond fishing. the ponds were all up about 3 to 4 ft, got some largemouth under debris mats. other than that the ponds were dead, even by the inflow pipes.

later in the evening took the dog for a walk and just happened to have the rod in the car. Fished a bit, got a few smallmouth on jig/twister literally right next to shore. Amazed the bucket brigaders with 8 ozs of weight trying to fish the middle of the river.