Jump to content

Poison Ivy ?


Terry Dodge
 Share

Recommended Posts

Apply some brake cleaner to the plant, I hear it's great at getting rid of poison ivy, so if the plant dies, you've identified it.

 

It's kind of like confirming someone is a witch, if they weigh the same as a duck, you've logically proven it.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g

 

LMAO

 

I thought they threw witches in the water to see if they would float or sink...

 

 

Terry,

Tons of pics on the net. Problem is the ivy looks so different through out the season and also has various forms (bush, vine, stalk) that it's hard to tell at times. You guys seem to have a lot of it out there compared to other areas (JMO).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks fellas! This stuff is all growing around my wood shed and the wife will not let me clean it up because she thought it was poison ivy.

I am putting my trust into you guys. If I breakout then Jude's gonna have to put that creamy stuff on me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tons of pics on the net. Problem is the ivy looks so different through out the season and also has various forms (bush, vine, stalk) that it's hard to tell at times..

 

Tell me about it! That's why I thought it would be best to check with the guys who know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks fellas! This stuff is all growing around my wood shed and the wife will not let me clean it up because she thought it was poison ivy.

I am putting my trust into you guys. If I breakout then Jude's gonna have to put that creamy stuff on me.

 

just because these two plants are not poison ivy does not mean you have no poison ivy around your shed so you might err on the side of caution and wear gloves and long sleeves. if you are sensitive there are lots of plants that will cause some irritation. timothy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The best way to determine if it's poison ivy is to pluck a few leaves and rub them all over your arms and face. Soon, you'll have your answer. As far as rubbing the creamy stuff goes, not in my job description. But, being the helpful guy I am, I'll assist in applying a remedy from back in the old country: gasoline. Any octane will do. I'll douse you in it, then you just have to sit and relax for an hour or so for it to kill all the poison ivy toxins. That hour can pass pretty slowly, so I suggest just sitting back and lighting up a good cigar immediately after the dousing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jude - your a funny guy! (funny ha ha not funny like the grown man you saw blowing bubbles)

 

Terry - One of the smaller streams that you and I fish in our region is loaded with poison ivy. I'm surprised I haven't been affected by it. Maybe I'm immune

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Terry - One of the smaller streams that you and I fish in our region is loaded with poison ivy.

 

I know! That's where I got it from but my wife thinks that I may have got it from this stuff (see pictures) in the back yard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Jim S.

I know! That's where I got it from but my wife thinks that I may have got it from this stuff (see pictures) in the back yard.

 

I ran into it as well back there a couple of weeks ago. Glad I wasn't wearing shorts!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If u declare immunity, u are no longer immune. I've witnessed this first hand from several buddies. Whenever I wet wade or fish terribly weedy banks, I always take a good shower as soon as I get home. Keep in mind I'm highly allergic to it and walk thru it to access my local flows. As long as u wash the oils off as quickly as possible and use a brush under your fingernails, mostly never get it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If u declare immunity, u are no longer immune. I've witnessed this first hand from several buddies. Whenever I wet wade or fish terribly weedy banks, I always take a good shower as soon as I get home. Keep in mind I'm highly allergic to it and walk thru it to access my local flows. As long as u wash the oils off as quickly as possible and use a brush under your fingernails, mostly never get it.

 

What Dana said! I also believe the duration and intensity of exposure matter. My kids unfortunately got a horrible case requiring antibiotics and steroids. I climbed over and touched the same log as they did (log covered w/ivy) however I just grazed and brushed the ivy where as they sat, leaned and scooted. Course I didn't know what it looked like then... It was really bad and now I avoid anything that even looks like ivy, especially when w/the kids.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...