Phil's fishing tip of the week

Fished most of Saturday on the Kankakee. Had the gloves, parka and wool socks back on. The fishing didn't get going till the end of the day so here's tip one " fish hard all day on structure situations trying different depths and speeds and dress warm enough to stay comfortable. I missed some light hits early on tubes and missed a good one on a crank bait. The last shore I fished for the day had well defined eddies with rock bottoms and fast current. A 1/4 ounce jig snagged too much so did an 1/8 went to a 1/16 and was able to just tick the bottom and picked up 3 fish real quick. I was using a 3 1/3" tube and probably could have put a bigger tube to slow the rate of fall but the fish were very slow to take the bait and once they did they seemed to hang on to the lighter jig better. All fish so far were right at the seam between the fast and slow current. I did pick up one just a little further out off the seam. Finally I ran out of rocky eddies and finished the day in a large mud bottomed eddie with hardly any current. the sun had been hitting this spot all day and had probably warmed the mornings cold water (43 degrees). Worked the seam nothing. Made a cast parallel to the bank about two foot out missed a hit, cast again fish on. Ended up with the four biggest fish of the day in the last twenty minutes all right next to the bank. I was out of light jigs didn't have a cutters to make one from a heavy jig but still caught these fish. The jig weight wasn't as critical in the eddie as it was on the seam but I think those cold water fish would have taken it better maybe i wouldn't have snagged as much and probably would have felt the hits better. So dress warm, stay all day and carry an assortment of jigs so you can just feel bottom but not snag. Last tip when throwing a lighter jig cast further upstream it will take longer to reach bottom. An example would be to cast 30' upstream the first 10' it's sinking the next 15 or 20 it's ticking bottom and actually fishing the last part of the drift you loose contact real in. The lighter the jig the longer it will take to initially make bottom contact on your drift the longer your cast will need to be.

Phil F

The fact that I'm typing at all constantly amazes me. Typo, however there are times when fish seem to be striking short and breaking off a little to make it shorter helps you to hook them. So you'll have to make your own 3 and 1/3 tubes.

Phil