fly names

Guest Don R

Guest Don R

Several years ago I thought of the name Jalapeno Popper for a fly. I mentioned it to Michael T and he created a wonderfully colored popper befitting of its name.

Button Fly (your fish won't come unbuttoned with this fly) and the Gooogle Bug (the ultimate search fly) both popped into my head today.

Please forgive me if these fly names are already in use. But if they aren't it would be cool to see Bassbuggers come up with unique patterns for all of these. (please forward the recipes when completed to Steve K)

Guest rich mc

and when you catch a fish on the google bug do you yell YAHOO.

i havent seen a button fly but they do make a crab fly for saltwater that has body of a felt disc for a chair leg bottom . rich

Guest Don R

maybe a shoo fly can be made from a flip flop .. it has to have sole .. rich

You're pretty quick on your feet there Rich. But I think I can go toe to toe with ya. ;)

Greg,

You ain't foolin anybody

I can tell a Tiny Torpedo when I see it.

Why don't you just quit repainting spinning lures?

There's an Anonymous group for that ya know.

MWRSLTLLFB

"Men who repaint spinning lures to look like fly bugs"

Ok that acronym is a bit long so I will work on another.

Bus leaves at 4:00 am for downstate

Don, ya gotta get off Wiki

That can become very addictive and you know it's not like Encyclopedia Britannica if that still exists.

I need to Wiki that to check it...Bus leaves at 4:30 am for downstate

PTBSG

Pretending to be spinning guys

OLWASITW

Old farts who are stuck in their ways

(I got that one from RonK)

Hmm...don't know. Not much different than the popper. You spinning guys are just jealous 'cause you can't cast flies with your spinning gear! BTW, that coffey grinder weighs less than a 1/64 oz jig. Not to worry, though, Joz. I can direct you to Rainbow plastics. You can get some casting bubbles, and cast flies with your spinning rod. C'mon...admit to being a closet fly fisherman!

your half right Greg, you tied the feather on the treble and glued the rest not tied it. incredible paint job rich

Actually, a bit MORE than half right. I tied the hook to the wire form that runs through the body. AND, as far as that goes...stop and think. How do you "tie" a popper? You might lay a foundation of thread on the hook. Then, super glue the foam head to the hook. And, finally, add a couple of feathers to the tail, and palmer another one in front of those two. Maybe you could use a needle, and stick a few rubber legs through the foam head. Perhaps, stick on a couple of eyes, with glue.

Which part is different from what I did...other than the rubber legs???

However you did it it is an amazing looking thing.

It does look just like Tiny Torpedo except for the difference in hooks.

They do have TT in that exact largemouth pattern

I would assume that thing can really catch some fish.

However you did it it is an amazing looking thing.

It does look just like Tiny Torpedo except for the difference in hooks.

They do have TT in that exact largemouth pattern

I would assume that thing can really catch some fish.

Actually, while a lot of guys focus on really ornate patterns, I seem to do best with plain white, black, yellow, etc... As Lefty Kreh commented to me once, fish don't see the back of something floating. I just did some up like this, for the heck of it.

I have done well with it, in my local creek. I have to quit selling them. That way, I can have some with me to try this year!

And, thanks, Rich. But, as so many guys think it's paint, it's actually art markers! I just use 2 part rod finish over the top, to keep the color from leeching away.

Guest airbornemike

I just picked up three Heddon tiny torpedos at Gander before I saw this post, my seven wieght hucks em nicer than my larger fodders :) Joe Cornwall got me thinking about mini crank baits and spinners you gear boys toss.